What are you guys looking for when looking on a topo map?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sneaky

What are you guys looking for when looking on a topo map?

Unread postby Sneaky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:30 am

When you are scoping out likely spots to scout or hunt, while looking over a topo map, what do you like to see? I feel somewhat comfortable doing this with elk, but I'm clueless when it comes to whitetails.

We scouted some public land Saturday, and I really liked the property. It's not easy to get way back in there, and there's some pretty thick areas. All of the access points are at the very far end of where I want to hunt, probably 5-6 miles away. I'll park accross the river, and kayak to that area, then hike to my spot....wherever that may be. I don't know yet. I'm really wanting to learn more about mapping whitetails.

Are you looking for ridges, saddles, valleys, creeks, etc.? How do these and other terrain features/elevation changes affect deer movement?

I have a pretty good map, finally, of a public spot I'd like to hunt. It combines arial views with elevation changes. I don't know how to post it, but if I can get it done, I will.

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Re: What are you guys looking for when looking on a topo map

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:45 am

If looking for bedding areas I look for steep terrain changes that end in points. For rut tactics I look for pinch points between likely bedding areas. Bedding doesn't necessarily have to be thick so long as there are terrain changes that would benefit a buck in thermal tunnels and such as well as giving him a good view of the valley or ditch below.
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:48 am

Okay, I've been looking at some funnels between thick areas.

So they bed on the sides of hills or ridges? I remember Zap telling me some stuff about that. Where the thermals meet the wind, I think. Maybe Zap or someone else could refresh my memory.

Is this something they do pretty consistently? I was under the impression that they did it some, but I didn't know how often.

This is probably a lot more simple than what I'm trying to get out of it, but I've never clicked well with whitetail behavior. I really want to learn about their habits so I can hunt them better. I just don't know where to start.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:59 am

Do yourself a big favor and purchase the DVD in our store called "Hill country bucks" It will show you exactly how to hunt bucks in hilly terrain.
The DVD is over 3 hours long, I would need to write a book to explain everything....
Sneaky

Unread postby Sneaky » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:49 am

I'm going to do just that, Dan.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Hill Country Bucks was the best info I have ever received for hunting whitetails, the best ever..
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”