How far away are the bucks from the does?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oneflag

How far away are the bucks from the does?

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:29 am

This is kind of a hard question to ask, it's a similar question to; where are the deer late season? I hunt pressured public land and I’m still seeing deer but few bucks. During rut and chasing deer behavior is a lot different and when you see does chances are a buck is near. Now that it’s late season I’m giving the does a free pass but the bucks never show. I am always hopeful when deer pass my setups and I don’t get busted. I feel that any other deer in the area will see it’s safe to take the same route or trail to bedding, food ect. I know there are a bunch of factors but when you find that honey hole on pressured ground shouldn’t the mature buck be near. Or is the mature buck in his own world a ¼ mile away and nocturnal. We know deer will be herding up soon for late winter and we will see them all together in open fields. Even if your deer herd was only 2 doe and a buck wouldn’t the hang out a little more?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: How far away are the bucks from the does?

Unread postby dan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:33 am

DFuring pressure situations any place you find deer you might find big bucks... The biggest ones for me though after gun have been very remote and away from humans for the most part... If pressure is laxed and there is no snow you can still find them in over looked spots not so far back too.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 am

In the areas I hunt the bucks are usually bedded just back from the does. In other words you have a food source (key element this time of year) you then have does bedding and then deeper the bucks bed. 1/4 mile is nothing to a deer. This why it is tough to bow hunt and much easier with a rifle or musket. The does go to the fields first. I put together this illustration to help explain (I actually hunt this exact spot just like this). I set up with a SW wind and approach from the North (Top)

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:14 am

Within smelling distance and that could vary based on terrain, swirling winds etc...

Keep in mind 440 yards is only a 1/4 mile.
Or because I'm a golfer = Driver, 4 Iron ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:36 am

Stanley wrote:In the areas I hunt the bucks are usually bedded just back from the does. In other words you have a food source (key element this time of year) you then have does bedding and then deeper the bucks bed. 1/4 mile is nothing to a deer. This why it is tough to bow hunt and much easier with a rifle or musket. The does go to the fields first. I put together this illustration to help explain (I actually hunt this exact spot just like this). I set up with a SW wind and approach from the North (Top)

It is also common to see doe bedding move closer to food sources during periods of extreme cold if adequate cover is available with buck bedding remaining the same. In these cases, it is advantageous to hunt between the doe and buck bedding using Stanleys approach from the North.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:39 pm

In the next week or so the doe's that didn't get bred the 1st time will be coming into heat again here shortly. A mini rut will be back on soon.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:54 pm

Schultzy wrote:In the next week or so the doe's that didn't get bred the 1st time will be coming into heat again here shortly. A mini rut will be back on soon.

Yes very true. I love hunting this time of year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:58 pm

There may be hope for my season..... :whistle:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:50 am

Thanks for all the replies, as for the ¼ mile, 440 yards. That distance in thick hill country is equal to 1 mile in flat farm land.

Late season some bucks have been killed and some get pushed into the thickest nastiest places in hill country. We know mature bucks are masters at survival. I’m still seeing does and I just figure the bucks should be near. I feel deer are community animals and like to know what the rest of the herd is doing.

I love late muzzleloader season in Indiana and have killed some bucks during this time but man you have to work for them.

Second rut is a good point.

A neighbor of mine just did tell me about a nice 8pnt with a severely broken front leg. If we get a little snow I will be looking for his track and hopefully put him down. That’s a late season tactic I had not planned for; should be an adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”