What would you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

What would you do?

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:59 am

In a bit of a pickle right now.

My freezer is full and I still have a buck tag. My brother in law, likes to hunt, but does not eat the meat. He gave me his crossbow doe, and yesterdays rifle buck. He only wanted the back straps and gave me the rest of the meat. I harvested a doe with my muzzle loader earlier, and my cousin gave me his button buck. So my freezer is more than full for the year.

Here is my predicament:

My dad has been taking my nephew out all season and has not really had any real great opportunities to take a deer. He uses quite a bit of deer meat for my mother, and 2 older siblings who just cant seem to fly the coupe, and nephew.

Rifle season in PA does not enthuse me, and really annoys me to be honest. I don't want to be greedy and take a buck, out of my normal archery hunting areas when I have a freezer full of meat, and would rather save them for archery next year, even the bigger bucks. Just seems like a better thing to do. I would just rather get them with a bow next year in archery season, and avoid the circus that is Pennsylvania Rifle Season.

Would you:

1. Hunt your stomping grounds and wait for the biggest buck, and forget that your dad needs meat for the freezer?

2. Hunt some new game lands, explore and scout and shoot the first legal buck you see?

3. Hunt some new game lands, and hold out for a nice buck, until last day.

My dad really needs this deer meat, but any more I do not like to shoot immature deer. I definitely do not want to shoot one, from my better archery areas. Tough one. I have a little guy at home and love spending time with him, and am more than prepared to eat tag soup, since the freezer is full. I just really hate going out to hunt, and have 5 guys, coming into the areas I never see anyone in archery. Trying to hunt escape routes and such only to have 10 guys come driving through it hooping and hollering. Just drives me insane.

I am chomping at the bit, to take the lab out grousing again. Just wondering what you all would do in this situation.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
backstraps

Re: What would you do?

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:16 am

If I had family members that needed meat, there is no question what I would do.

I would for sure give them meat no doubt.

As for your given options... I would be between #2-#3

I would go hunting with hopes of killing a good buck. I would hunt where I knew a good buck could be and hold out for him....however as it got closer to the end of the hunt (maybe last day), I would opt to go somewhere new, use the hunt as a fresh scout, and harvest whatever is legal.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:24 am

If shooting a big buck is really an option I would do that? I don't think I'm understanding totally because if you shot a big buck wouldn't that give you meat? If you have big bucks running around, I would think you would want to shoot them but thats just me.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:32 am

Unpack some of your deer meat give it to your dad and hunt like you want, when you want.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:49 am

Stanley wrote:Unpack some of your deer meat give it to your dad and hunt like you want, when you want.

That would be my plan.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 am

That sounds like a plan.

Although last night he really ticked me off. I was butchering my brother in laws deer, and stopped in at my dads to ask if he wanted to help and we could share the meat. He gave an excuse of Im too tired, and a few other. This really ticked me off, because After decorating the Christmas tree and such with the family, is when I finally got started. Was up until 2 in the morning deboning and such. Going to chunk the meat up tonight and cut steaks and such. Why should I just give him meat, that I was up until 2 in the morning cutting, when he could have helped me. Maybe I'm just being too hard on him. Just crabby that he gave me excuses when all he had to do was debone a little bit of meat.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:08 am

My younger brother used to do that. He didn't want to hunt very hard and also didn't like to cut em up and somehow he still always ended up with a bunch of summer sausage in his freezer. I started only shooting enough deer for myself, and started to not touch a deer unless it was one I shot. I am willing to help anyone cut up their deer but they have to get it started and do the more of the work. Seems like if you volunteer to help with too much stuff you end up doing all the work.

The point i am making is that once we made it a lot harder for my brother to have access to all the meat he wanted, he suddenly started hunting a heck of a lot harder and started doing a lot more of it on his own. Its almost like the food stamps, if you make it too easy they will become dependent on your labor. If you make it tougher, they will go out and find their own way. It sounds like you are being too nice of a guy.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 am

Q:"Why should I just give him meat, that I was up until 2 in the morning cutting, when he could have helped me. Maybe I'm just being too hard on him. Just crabby that he gave me excuses when all he had to do was debone a little bit of meat."
A: Because he is your dad, he probably changed your crappy pants when he was tired at some point in time. :D

Free up some freezer space by giving him some venison, maybe a cheap Christmas present. Sounds like you've got 4 deer in your freezer, that's alot of meat. If it was me I'd tell your brother in law to find a new hobby if he's not going to eat what he kills. I know there are people who do that but it doesn't fly with me. Sorry I'm fiery this morning. I take alot of pride in hosting guests for dinner and serving wild game cooked right so they can enjoy it. It also helps us go thru game meat faster, so keep that in mind.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:04 am

I would kill a big buck if possible, they'll make more... :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”