Ground hunting advice.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Ground hunting advice.

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:43 pm

Just wondering how you ground hunters set up to blend in? I bought a ghillie suit, but I'm just wondering, do you guys just find a tree top to sit in or behind, or do you just stand behind a tree and then as the deer goes by, lean out a bit and let a arrow fly?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Ground hunting advice.

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:51 pm

One of the biggest draw backs of hunting on the ground, "Visibility". I like to use natural brush and have an open window as large as possible. You must also have a good back ground so you are not silhouetted (this is key). I always tried to have brush up to my waste and if at all possible some brush over head. I always had brush up and over my head for the back ground. I always had much better luck deer hunting with a natural blind vs a tent style blind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Just like Stanley said.

I try to find something to help me blend...which isn't hard where I hunt. Early season especially. We have wild rose bushes that work great. I shot a doe early season in a ghillie, I could've almost poked the 6 point she was with!

I have also had great luck setting up beside of cedars, or other evergreens too
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Do you guys have a chair to sit for periods at a time, or just stand when possible? I was trying to think ahead to next year for pre rut spots, and I'm guessing I want to stay as comfortable as possible if I have to have sits of 3 or 4 hours, or maybe longer. Or maybe some of you just sit on the ground, but I would think it would be tough to get into position in a hurry when your target is approaching...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm almost always in a chair. Often tucked into a blow down. However, my best ground set ups are holes. A well placed hole in a clump of conifers is a dynamite set up.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'm almost always in a chair. Often tucked into a blow down. However, my best ground set ups are holes. A well placed hole in a clump of conifers is a dynamite set up.

So you hand dig a hole to sit in? How deep do you go?
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 pm

I am thinking he means a hole in the conifers, not a hole in the ground.

I cut a hole in the cedars, slip in and sit on my chair.

You can just sit amongst the trees.....draw when the deers head is out of sight.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:37 pm

oh ok, now I get it....
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:41 pm

If you sit still and the deer are not in your scent stream they will walk past a few feet away.
Its pretty cool, actually.

8-) 8-)

Their visual acuity is motion based.
Just try to blend and hang out.

Then drop the hammer at the appropriate time..... :lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:48 pm

A key is to be down. Either sitting or kneeling. I got caught in the open last yr and I knelt down and froze and averted my eyes. Two does walked by so close I could almost touch them.They never caught my scent and just kept walking. With a gun I like to get under an evergreen and sit then use little ratcheting clippers to make spots to see and shoot and clear things that are catching on clothing. I always carry those clippers to make impromptu blinds without making noise.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 pm

my advice is to not do what I do. I get busted most of the time. lol. I know a guy that used the ghost blind (the one that is a mirror) and he had success.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:09 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Do you guys have a chair to sit for periods at a time, or just stand when possible? I was trying to think ahead to next year for pre rut spots, and I'm guessing I want to stay as comfortable as possible if I have to have sits of 3 or 4 hours, or maybe longer. Or maybe some of you just sit on the ground, but I would think it would be tough to get into position in a hurry when your target is approaching...

This year I bought a small tripod stool that swivels. It's lightweight and folds up small for carrying. it doesn't have a back but I can usually find a tree to lean against. Sitting on the ground is tough for bowhunting, trying to get into position for a shot.

I try to find at least a little bit of structure to set up in. I carry a small set of hand pruners and cut a few limbs to stick in front (and back) of me. Even if they don't have leaves, it helps giving some depth to yourself. I don't build a blind or anything close to it. I don't want to change the landscape of the area that much. I just try to blend in with something. I bought an ASAT 3D suit this year that seems to blend in quite well.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Do you guys have a chair to sit for periods at a time, or just stand when possible? I was trying to think ahead to next year for pre rut spots, and I'm guessing I want to stay as comfortable as possible if I have to have sits of 3 or 4 hours, or maybe longer. Or maybe some of you just sit on the ground, but I would think it would be tough to get into position in a hurry when your target is approaching...

You have to have a chair in my opinion (reduces hunter movement). I always carry a folding camp stool with a saw and nips to get set up. It is more or less Beast style on the ground.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:57 am

What about a bow holder, do you just lean it up against something, or do you have some sort of a bow holder that sticks into the ground?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:19 am

I use a ground stake bow holder and a tripod stool. The bow holder really cuts down on movement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”