Gone nocturnal, could use some help.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter74201

Gone nocturnal, could use some help.

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:24 am

hey everyone, new guy here from new hampshire. i learned about the hunting beast and dan via archerytalk so that's how i got here. i already ordered and watched the swamp and hill country buck vids which were outstanding. i'm sure i'll watch them several more times to better my skills. i'm already applying some of the techniques i've learned from the vids.

on to my problem.. nocturnal deer. in this particular spot (which is right behind my house) all the deer have gone nocturnal. most likely due to human traffic (hunting, hikers, dog walkers etc). i have pics of one real nice 10 pointer that i would absolutely love to get a crack at. i got pics of him last monday and tuesday night, around 8-10 pm both times. this area is all big woods and i really don't know where he might be bedding, there's a lot of possibilities. i have a google earth image of the area and a topo.

kind of hard to see, but i'll try to explain it. here's the google earth image. my house is in the upper left corner near where it says eastman shore rd.

here's the topo of the area..

i believe my house is lot #4 in the upper left corner. the best i can tell from trail cam pics, he's coming in from the right/south east and traveling north/north west. i believe he travels along the powerline. i suspect he's bedding somewhere in the area labeled ahern state park but i really can't say for sure.

there is a trail in the powerline that has a few rubs here and there but i lose the trail pretty quickly. i think it goes into timber somewhere and i don't know where it goes from there.

i think the only way i'm going to get a shot at this guy during daylight is to set up right near his bedding area. from the maps, does anyone have any good ideas of likely bedding sites? thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Gone nocturnal, could use some help.

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:22 am

Its hard for me to see much detail on the aerial without being able to zoom in... I would suspect the biggest oldest bucks are living right up against houses that the occupants don't venture far off pavement. Also check in the areas between two roads. and other over looked areas.
Spots like the one you posted usually have over looked spots to the side that go under everybodys radar.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Welcome neighbor!

I have a friend that lives near bye on Leighton Av directly on the lake...
That looks like some decent area to hunt every time I go his way.

I would look for the thickest parts of the power lines next to any low spots that contain water.
Virtually impassable terrain...

Good luck!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:19 am

thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll see what i can find. it'd be great to get a few inches of snow to help me out! do any of those points in the ahern area look like potential bedding spots? there's not a ton of elevation there but there is some.

leighton ave huh? that's about 5 min from my door. heck, the buck i'm after probably cruises up by your buddy's house!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:58 am

Those leeward points certainly could have buck bedding, it will depend on people traffic.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:34 am

thanks dan. i'm going to check them out once i get a good quiet day to walk around. too dry and crunchy right now, need a wet/windy day.

the human traffic out there is pretty bad during the warmer months, but since it's colder now it shouldn't be as bad.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”