Do Rubs = Bed?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Do Rubs = Bed?

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:54 am

There's a buck that I'm not sure about, in regards to bedding location. He has huge rubs at a point where a ditch, buckbrush line, and marsh line all meet. I think he is crossing there, but I'm not sure where he's coming from. If I am finding rubs there, does that mean his bed is close? Or just that he is passing through that way?

James
500 Club

Re: Do Rubs = Bed?

Unread postby James » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:00 am

Just passing through, but his bed could be close or further than you think, or it may not even be close to his core area. Bottom line you need to scout and hunt it to see what's going on and start putting a picture together.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:41 am

James is right on... Rubs may or may not be close to bedding. There are likely rubs scattered all along his travel pattern. He could be marking a doe trail crossing, or who knows what.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:55 am

dan wrote:James is right on... Rubs may or may not be close to bedding. There are likely rubs scattered all along his travel pattern. He could be marking a doe trail crossing, or who knows what.

Short of seeing him in his bed, what confirms it for you?

I am kind of baffled by his bedding location. I think it may be on the adjacent property, which I can't scout.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Clevinger wrote:
dan wrote:James is right on... Rubs may or may not be close to bedding. There are likely rubs scattered all along his travel pattern. He could be marking a doe trail crossing, or who knows what.

I am kind of baffled by his bedding location. I think it may be on the adjacent property, which I can't scout.

If you locate all the primary bedding in your area, he probably uses all of it. Its just a matter of timing.
Best case scenario you find his track, shed, or rub at the bed...
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:31 pm

dan wrote:
Clevinger wrote:

If you locate all the primary bedding in your area, he probably uses all of it. Its just a matter of timing.
Best case scenario you find his track, shed, or rub at the bed...

In a swampy/marshy area, he would always find a small hump or something that kept him above the water, correct? Would they ever just curl up on that thick grass that's in those areas if there is water below it. I stand on that stuff and it can hold me above the water usually. It's pretty tough.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Hard to answer that without seeing what your talking about.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”