Rub

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lostinstateforest

Rub

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 am

I have been waiting all year to go into this spot that I think a big buck beds. We have had snow on for 3 or 4 days and there was plenty of sign that deer do use the ledge but not necessarily the bed I was looking for. I can only assume the wind hasn't been right or he is sleeping just around the corner. I did find this rub which is very large for this area and rubbed pretty high. This rub was made in very low traffic area which made me think its in his bedroom or at least very close. It made me feel like I was at least getting closer to his core area.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
eastwoodhunter

Re: Rub

Unread postby eastwoodhunter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Thats a nice one!
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 am

One piece of the puzzle.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Jay wrote:One piece of the puzzle.

I agree. I get worried when people show me a good sized rub on a slope like that and hunt it hard as it easily could have been made during the rut, especially if it falls at cruising elevation.

Keep at it!

lostinstateforest

Unread postby lostinstateforest » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:24 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:

I agree. I get worried when people show me a good sized rub on a slope like that and hunt it hard as it easily could have been made during the rut, especially if it falls at cruising elevation.

Keep at it!

Already killed my buck. I was just scouting this area once snow hit so I could get some info on beds.This particular area is not a cruising area. It is a dead end, leads straight to a cliff. I have seen a lot of big bucks head here with the bullets start flying, which is tomorrow. I was curious if this was a place pressure leads them to or if its a year round area. I just found it interesting that the largest rub I had found was where I hoped the big guy was sleeping.

My friend, we must not compromise doctrine for the sake of results!
~ Dr. John Goetsch
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

lostinstateforest wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Keep at it!

Already killed my buck. I was just scouting this area once snow hit so I could get some info on beds.This particular area is not a cruising area. It is a dead end, leads straight to a cliff. I have seen a lot of big bucks head here with the bullets start flying, which is tomorrow. I was curious if this was a place pressure leads them to or if its a year round area. I just found it interesting that the largest rub I had found was where I hoped the big guy was sleeping.

8-)

Tough to beat a fresh snow if you are looking to find him for next year. I imagine that will happen by the end of the week.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”