Got the LW Sticks/Stand...now what...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Got the LW Sticks/Stand...now what...

Unread postby jjm335 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Got the LW setup and gave it a test run today! Pretty excited but found out right away it's a little tough to setup. Can you guys give me the run down of how you do it? Do you use a harness as you are setting up? Do you pull each stick up with something or carry each? Looking for some tips!?!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetail_addict

Re: Got the LW Sticks/Stand...now what...

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Do a search on this forum as I know there are videos of Dan's set up method, it may even be on youtube. Also, there are many other setup demos on youtube from others. Watch some of these videos and develop a method that works good for you.

And don't worry, this setup gets much easier to set up with practice and experience. I too just bought my setup this year and already I have no problem or worries about bringing it into a spot at any given time and setting it up right then and there to hunt. It's quick and easy and I love being mobile.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Dan's video below. My approach is similar. I prefer a lineman's belt to the 3 point method though.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEyFDBV7X4[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gBOa-681Hk[/bbvideo]
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am

I would recommend the video's posted by bassboys and also reading this thread:

CLICK LINK BELOW
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=88
superseal

Unread postby superseal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:48 am

I watched all the videos I could find about setting up several times. I tried them all and finally came up with the best way for me. Once you figure that out you should have also figured out most of the gear you are packing and how to arrange it....these go hand in hand. Initially I worked on getting up quietly. Then I worked on the speed of getting up the tree. Finally, perfect every movement so no time or energy is wasted and it's easily repeated.

The part that takes the longest for me is hanging the stand. I like to make sure it is level, rock solid and positioned for good shots. There is a lot of info/pictures on this site and the web....do a search.

The LW stand and sticks work really well especially if you travel light and keep it simple.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:08 am

Don't forget to silence the stand even more. Get some stealth strips for your set up. http://www.stealthoutdoors.com/shop/
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:11 am

I'd also apply bow wax to all connections.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:28 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'd also apply bow wax to all connections.

X2. I did this to my stand when I first got it. Also tightened all fasteners to the point I get a controlled opening. By that I mean when I grab the main post to put the strap around the tree, the platform doesnt slam open. It slowly opens. Also the wax doesnt last forever, my stand is now noisy after several years of use, time to apply more wax. Also another thing you may notice is your steps loosening a bit on you. Pay attention to this and tighten as needed. Dont simply crank them down, or you will damage things. I have not found an easy way to set up the stand. I have seen the videos of guys hooking 2 sticks to their waist and think that has some merrit, but have not tried it myself. I go up and down the tree several times to fetch things. On my last stick I put the stand on my back. Unklike Dan, I cannot simply hang it off one shoulder. Everybody is different and I have no problem getting it off my back with it over both arms. I then go back down and hook up my bow rope and put my back pack on and climb up and hunt. Takes me a long time........

Oh and instead of bungee cords, get yourself some raptor straps off amazon. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:32 am

My best advice is be patient with getting used to it. The first time I set it up it took me about 35 minutes and I was dripping sweat. I was quicker each time. Now it takes me 10 to 15 minutes to set up and 5 minutes to take it down and pack it up.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:46 am

I have tried several methods, my favorite is Bowhunter15's using the loops on the safety harness to carry the sticks. I have also used the stick carrier method and it works well too but is a little slower. I have considered setting the sticks using Bowhunter15's method and then going back down for the stand and backpack and hooking to the bow, I am going to practice both in the offseason and see which I prefer.

I would not consider ever climbing without a linemens belt no matter how noisy or whatnot, no buck is worth my life and I am actually quieter and faster and more efficient with it. I have a buddy who fell while getting into his tree on Tuesday and he may never be the same, he hit his head on the part of the brain that controls emotions and speech and he is not doing well at the moment, I wont be repeating his accident.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:34 am

B15's method along with Dan's work well. Use a linesmans belt, Like Brad said, you never know when you might slip. I had a strap on step let go on me this year, even with a linesmans belt on, I went down about 3'. Scared the crap out of me.

A method for pulling up gear, I have a rope attached to my stand, and I will loet out enough rope to reach the height I'm going. I have 2 loops in it. tie on my pack and the bow below, strap on steps, climb as I go, stand on back, hang the stand, climb on, reset stand to lock it in, then pull up gear.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:02 am

It is best to use a line belt for set up and take down.

The fall is not to bad but the abrupt end to it can hurt. If you are attached 100% of the time that you have your feet off the ground the possibility of injuring yourself in a fall is pretty slim. Other than getting some scrapes.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:35 am

superseal wrote:I watched all the videos I could find about setting up several times. I tried them all and finally came up with the best way for me. Once you figure that out you should have also figured out most of the gear you are packing and how to arrange it....these go hand in hand. Initially I worked on getting up quietly. Then I worked on the speed of getting up the tree. Finally, perfect every movement so no time or energy is wasted and it's easily repeated.

[glow=red]The part that takes the longest for me is hanging the stand. I like to make sure it is level, rock solid and positioned for good shots.[/glow] There is a lot of info/pictures on this site and the web....do a search.

The LW stand and sticks work really well especially if you travel light and keep it simple.

I hate the stand hanging part. It either seems to go really smooth or is the worst experience and takes forever. Bigger diameter trees are even harder because I can't just reach around the tree with my free hand to grab the strap, I have to swing it with the hand that is supposed to be holding onto the platform. I hate hanging my stand. Did I say that yet?
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:52 pm

I like to use the LW ez hangar to hang my stand. I leave about 2-3" of slack in the strap so I can pull the hook away from the tree. It makes getting the ez hook in the seat post easier. Then once the hook is in I snug down the Ez hang strap.

I also wear a fanny pack with the pouch facing the tree. I put my stand straps, ez hang strap, bow rope, and harness tree strap in it so when I reach stand height I can set all that stuff up without any extra trips up and down the tree.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the great tips guys! Do you guys put something on the strap buckles to keep them quiet?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”