Slob buck killed in local marsh

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

keb
500 Club

Re: Slob buck killed in local marsh

Unread postby keb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:11 am

Whats the deal with the 1hr thing??

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:24 am

keb wrote:Whats the deal with the 1hr thing??

Special Federal Refuge rules

Also:

No scouting, no shining, no watercraft including canoes or kayaks, and no shed hunting allowed.

Very strict regulations.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:30 am

Dewey wrote:

Also:

No scouting, no shining, no watercraft including canoes or kayaks, and no shed hunting allowed.

Very strict regulations.

That's weird….

Why would they even allow hunting, if they have such strict rules? those rules…especially the 1hr thing seems extremely odd… :?
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:39 am

Oh to be twenty again, this where u young guys should hunt. That isn't the only big one out there.What 40 thousand acres.Get where it's good and u will not c anyone.that one hr thing isn't bad once u hunt a few times your in such great shape that u can hump it pretty fast.Ralph.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 am

Wish we had one here in Missouri like that, all we got is allot of guns seasons.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:24 am

A little more info on this buck. There has been 3 yrs of history with the guys chasing him. Apparently he was bigger last year. Friend I know who scores deer and lives a couple miles of where he was shot thinks that the antler shrinkage was due to harsh winter and late spring rather than age. He ages him at 4.5 yrs. There were also some issues of trespassing within the locals last year from a group who, had him located. And to add more drama, his small body size maybe due to him being hit last year during muzzleloader. This is all just speculation and adds to the back story of many of the local "Tirdy Point Bucks" running around.

As for hunting the marsh like Dan pointed out the time limits stink,having hunted the marsh the biggest challenge is the pressure. And its the overall pressure that is the most unpredictable. It does get hunted hard for deer now. Everyday of the week there are multiple vehicles at most areas. Deer pressure alone is tough. But throw in pheasant hunters, the DNR releases birds. Two years ago I was on a buck, weather conditions just got good and sure enough pheasant hunting opened. I could not locate tracks of that animal for a week straight and gave up. Everyday people who have never hunted walk dyke road, bird watchers, and in my opinion the biggest challenge to hunting marsh is the duck hunters. I duck hunted pretty hard up to 3 years ago, and the place is an all out zoo when duck opens. Guys from far and wide show up daily, 30 to 40 boats at each launch. Ten to twenty on weekdays, and with the advancement of Go Devils and direct drive motors plus the fact that duck hunters will spend 15 grand on a boat without a whim the borders of where they can go is almost limitless.

Now throw in all the Special Hunts. Disabled hunts, youth hunts, etc.

The first bow hunt my buddy who I still hunt with today took me on was a 3 mile trek on opening day. Never bow hunted before, had my Dads Bear Kodiak recurve that I learned to shoot with a couple weeks prior. Through waist deep water, across a couple make shift bridges, and finally to the Hot Spot. At the time we were 18 yrs old, that says a lot. I will never forget it and still don't let him forget. He shoots a 5 pointer 20 minutes into hunt. Needless to say, a nubie to bowhunting in what appears to be the Amazon and a 3 mile drag! I did not bow hunt for a couple years after this day.

At the end of the day hunting the marsh is like an all in poker game everytime out. I have many stories of friends being lost, and even me being lost one time, camping out because they walked miles in circles, lost phones and gear, and unfortunately even a death from one of the better marsh hunters who fell out of a tree. The guy above who shot the 5 pointer uncle was an animal on the marsh. From the stories he was a meat hunter first, but when a slob was available he would chase him. He did not use treestands and would climb as high as he could, and just stand or sit. Very dangerous, and a tragic end.

That being said. With GPS, Google Earth, and other tools available now getting lost is not as far up on the list. But can still happen in a heart beat. The Horicon Marsh is big and unique, and an overall gem to WI. But like many of you already know and have been through on your hunts, its never easy, and for some reason there is just a touch more of not easy on the Horicon.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:29 am

Good post Chasman. Always good to hear the local rumors and history...that'll never be heard when the final "story" comes out in the magazines.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:57 am

Chasman wrote:A little more info on this buck. There has been 3 yrs of history with the guys chasing him. Apparently he was bigger last year. Friend I know who scores deer and lives a couple miles of where he was shot thinks that the antler shrinkage was due to harsh winter and late spring rather than age. He ages him at 4.5 yrs. There were also some issues of trespassing within the locals last year from a group who, had him located. And to add more drama, his small body size maybe due to him being hit last year during muzzleloader. This is all just speculation and adds to the back story of many of the local "Tirdy Point Bucks" running around.

As for hunting the marsh like Dan pointed out the time limits stink,having hunted the marsh the biggest challenge is the pressure. And its the overall pressure that is the most unpredictable. It does get hunted hard for deer now. Everyday of the week there are multiple vehicles at most areas. Deer pressure alone is tough. But throw in pheasant hunters, the DNR releases birds. Two years ago I was on a buck, weather conditions just got good and sure enough pheasant hunting opened. I could not locate tracks of that animal for a week straight and gave up. Everyday people who have never hunted walk dyke road, bird watchers, and[glow=red]in my opinion the biggest challenge to hunting marsh is the duck hunters. I duck hunted pretty hard up to 3 years ago, and the place is an all out zoo when duck opens. Guys from far and wide show up daily, 30 to 40 boats at each launch. Ten to twenty on weekdays, and with the advancement of Go Devils and direct drive motors plus the fact that duck hunters will spend 15 grand on a boat without a whim the borders of where they can go is almost limitless.[/glow]Now throw in all the Special Hunts. Disabled hunts, youth hunts, etc.

The first bow hunt my buddy who I still hunt with today took me on was a 3 mile trek on opening day. Never bow hunted before, had my Dads Bear Kodiak recurve that I learned to shoot with a couple weeks prior. Through waist deep water, across a couple make shift bridges, and finally to the Hot Spot. At the time we were 18 yrs old, that says a lot. I will never forget it and still don't let him forget. He shoots a 5 pointer 20 minutes into hunt. Needless to say, a nubie to bowhunting in what appears to be the Amazon and a 3 mile drag! I did not bow hunt for a couple years after this day.

At the end of the day hunting the marsh is like an all in poker game everytime out. I have many stories of friends being lost, and even me being lost one time, camping out because they walked miles in circles, lost phones and gear, and unfortunately even a death from one of the better marsh hunters who fell out of a tree. The guy above who shot the 5 pointer uncle was an animal on the marsh. From the stories he was a meat hunter first, but when a slob was available he would chase him. He did not use treestands and would climb as high as he could, and just stand or sit. Very dangerous, and a tragic end.

That being said. With GPS, Google Earth, and other tools available now getting lost is not as far up on the list. But can still happen in a heart beat. The Horicon Marsh is big and unique, and an overall gem to WI. But like many of you already know and have been through on your hunts, its never easy, and for some reason there is just a touch more of not easy on the Horicon.

Hunting duck or waterfowl of any kind and use of watercraft is illegal in the Federal. You must have been hunting the far south state end of the marsh. This is not an issue north of the Main Dike Road.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:00 am

Dewey wrote:

Also:

Very strict regulations.

Wow that is just crazy, just another reason to hate the feds.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:03 am

Dewey,

I hunt both state and Federal land. Yes the duck hunters are allowed only on state side. Just recently more money has been designated to expand DNR office and build interactive outdoor areas to promote the marsh and cash in tourists and the like. I don't mind, the state has spent money much more foolishly. One other rumor I heard was to open up Dyke road to vehicle tours, similar to the existing one. I don't have a clue what would happen to the hunting then. I don't think that would be a good idea from a hunting perspective. We will wait and see.
Darion

Unread postby Darion » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 am

Nice buck.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:16 am

Very nice! Glad a hunter that gave chase to him for several years was able to put him down!
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:19 pm

That's a buck of a lifetime!
binney59
500 Club

Unread postby binney59 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Wow- amazing buck!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Dewey