Dr. Ken Nordberg's Buck Hunting School DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Dr. Ken Nordberg's Buck Hunting School DVD

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Dewey wrote:I am very interested in Nordbergs stuff and wouldn't mind checking it out. No doubt the guy knows his stuff about deer behavior. When I got really serious about big buck hunting I really studied his Whitetail Hunters Almanac's and learned a ton from them on mature buck behavior and stages of the rut.

One thing I will never do is keep my mind closed and only accept one way of doing things. There is some good stuff out there and I like to sift thru it and blend it with other tactics.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree with keeping an open mind... But, I also know there is a lot of junk out there. Not sure about this guy, I am unfamilar with him. But $85 seems like a lot for some DVD'S... Maybe I should be getting more :lol:
After he is done making them, it only costs him a buck or two a disc... 4 OR 5 X HIS DVD cost is what I am getting for for an all day in person workshop where I answer all questions... Not saying at all they are not worth it... Just saying I would have to know more about the guy to drop that kind of cash for a few plastic disc's. Does anybody remember the guy selling the "Dominance is everything book" I would pay NOT to have to read that thing...

If someone has the DVD's maybe they can share a review. I would like to know what it covers?

gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:00 am

Celebrating NYS forever long gun season the best way I can ; fighting a cold and eating Thanksgiving left overs...

I can email a picture of the course/video topics to someone to post- just pm me

There is no comparison between these vids and Dans... Worlds different in presentation, approach and to me value. I bought a couple of them simply because any information on whitetails I can cram in my little skull ; I will. If you've seen Dans they're a decent addition with a "stump sitter" perspective but they weren't approach changers for me

Green and growing... Or red and rotting
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:18 am

gjs4 wrote:Celebrating NYS forever long gun season the best way I can ; fighting a cold and eating Thanksgiving left overs...

There is no comparison between these vids and Dans... Worlds different in presentation, approach and to me value. I bought a couple of them simply because any information on whitetails I can cram in my little skull ; I will. If you've seen Dans they're a decent addition with a "stump sitter" perspective but they weren't approach changers for me

I am having trouble following your answer. Are you saying that you thought that the videos where better than Dan's?
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 am

I'm not a Dr Ken fan. His bear tactics I think are a bit laughable. I wouldn't trust his knowledge in deer knowing what he has said about bear and bear is what he supposively specializes in. Buy some of Dans DVD's. Their outstanding!!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:49 am

62kodiak wrote:
gjs4 wrote:Celebrating NYS forever long gun season the best way I can ; fighting a cold and eating Thanksgiving left overs...

I am having trouble following your answer. Are you saying that you thought that the videos where better than Dan's?

Sorry brother- sick on the couch- meds must have been making me wordier than usual

NO- theyre not better. They are nothing similar either. Very old school tactics and deer biology based. The recording audio and filming sucks. BUT there is value in any deer knowledge out there and did find some in these. The BBO videos are in a league of their own and are a no brainer to start with and reference. {hope this is a clearer presentation}
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:30 pm

That clears it up. I guess that's a big thumbs down on Nordberg's DVDs. I am not very disappointed, it just saved me some money. Does anybody know if Dan is planning a scouting workshop for this spring.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:21 am

I can't imagine what Mr. Nordberg would talk about for 17 hours. I bet it's hard to watch.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:36 am

62kodiak wrote:That clears it up. I guess that's a big thumbs down on Nordberg's DVDs. I am not very disappointed, it just saved me some money. Does anybody know if Dan is planning a scouting workshop for this spring.

Yes... I will. Workshops will be between January and April... I will post dates starting around the end of the year.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:29 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:I can't imagine what Mr. Nordberg would talk about for 17 hours. I bet it's hard to watch.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X2
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:37 am

Dr. Nordberg has some quality material, but I wouldn't want to pay that price for dvd's. His almanac #4 (soft cover) on whitetail sign, and another one that demonstrates some successful ground hunting in the big woods, are a good read and reasonably priced. He has spent thousands of hours in his study area and I won't dismiss his commentary. His hand drawings of habitat maps and how bucks interact with the cover in big woods really gets the wheels turning for some hunters (not me though).

Now, lets look at what Dan offers... I think most of us appreciate the cost/benefit ratio when it comes to spending our hard earned cash on hunting dvd's. The information contained within Dan's video's is worth many times what he is charging for them- I think many Beasts would agree.

Also- the offer to spend a day scouting with him, and having all questions answered / maps read and reviewed? For that price? If you haven't had much success with your hunting I would cross state lines (and have) to absorb what Dan offers at a very modest cost.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:55 pm

I have Dr. Nordberg's DVD set and 8 of his "Whitetail Hunter's Almanacs"
The DVDs are a recording of his 2 day buck hunting school. Includes the entire classroom discussion (very little editing)
and the last 3 DVDs are filmed "in the field" looking at sign and a few hunting spots. He basically goes over everything
in the books like different classes of deer, how the rut is broken down, identifying deer by reading sign (measuring droppings
to identify the age class of the deer). Other things covered: trails, rubs, scrapes, tracks, droppings, beds, etc.

Like was commented above (very scientific study of the whitetail) Not really a how to find, set up and kill big bucks like Dan
teaches in his DVDs/Classes. I too will recommend Dan's DVDs and class. I went to his class this past spring and if you are
thinking about going, don't think...GO!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”