Are you tired of freezing your but off

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Are you tired of freezing your but off

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:03 am

This looks good, don't care for the camo tho.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jdub

Unread postby Jdub » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:21 am

kenn1320 wrote:It seems to be a jacket with a bag on the bottom. I wonder if it would be any warmer then a decent jacket and bibs? How well can you shuffle to turn in your stand(like being right handed and turning right to shoot behind the tree)? Let us know more when you get to sit in a tree. The hand warmer pouch is pretty cool.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Same concept as a sleeping bag. If its cold at night you can put on long johns and heavy sweat pants, socks and so on and you still wont' stay as warm as if you were in your underwear inside a sleeping bag. These will out perform any heavy bibs and jacket as far as warmth, its all about keeping your own body heat together to keep you warmer
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:35 am

I have the HBS and it works . One thing I don't like is the bulky material surrounding your boots and I don't even use the extra boot covers . Sometimes you step on the material when moving your feet. Thought about using a small bungee or cinch strap around my ankles to tighten the suit around the foot better . Now for the IWOM , just how do you turn from the far left side to right side of your tree ? Looks like you would have to really shuffle your feet around to make that happen. ??

djw195

Unread postby djw195 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 am

Bought an iwom about a week ago. Took it out and started playing with it, seems well made. I will say right off the bat that the outside fabric is a bit rough, but i assume this breaks in with normal wear and the noise stops. Plan on putting on about 10 or so late season hunts with this thing, temps around zero, I will be writing a thorough review on here and AT. I'm hoping it will prove effective because I plan to use it when the temps drop below 40 for the next 10 yrs of my life.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 pm

E72 wrote:I have the HBS and it works . One thing I don't like is the bulky material surrounding your boots and I don't even use the extra boot covers . Sometimes you step on the material when moving your feet. Thought about using a small bungee or cinch strap around my ankles to tighten the suit around the foot better . Now for the IWOM , just how do you turn from the far left side to right side of your tree ? Looks like you would have to really shuffle your feet around to make that happen. ??

I wore my big heavy boots tonight and that was the first thing I checked and it was no problem. I just shuffled my feet a bit and its not even a concern for me now. It was 23 degrees and 13-20 mph winds in my face, windchill at 14. I wore two sets of baselayers one lightweight and one mid, and a camo spring jacket and pants just so I had some pockets. I wanted to put it to the test with not really wearing much underneath. I got a little chilled toward the end of the hunt which was 2.5 hrs later but I was totally comfortable and my feet were nice and warm. As soon as I unzipped and pulled it up I could instantly feel the difference in temp and my legs were very cold within a minute or two.

I will not ever hunt in cold weather without this. The positives outweigh every negative on the Iwom. I just found out that the coupon code I have is only if you spend 300 or more. The demo models are priced at 298, go figure. So if you know someone else that wants one as well than you can get the 12.5% discount.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Keep the reports coming guys, been thinking about one of these suites for a while and might pick one up at some point down the road.
rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:10 am

Went out this morning it was 20 degrees windchill in the low teens. I got to my stand slipped on my Iwom climb up and realize I left my backpack on the ground. So with making two trips up to my stand I worked up a sweat. I was sweating like a banshee! I thought great I'm gonna freeze now, not the case my friends. It ended up being a pleasant hunt had a little chill just no deer movement. I also had left my boots in my truck overnight on accident as well but my feet were perfectly fine.

The Iwom has some weight to it but it is not bulky and very easy to move around in on stand. Pulling your bow back and shooting is just like normal. I'm telling you guys I get cold easy, it's usually on days like today by the time I get out of the stand I can't feel my toes and I'm just frozen to the bone.

I was hesitant at first but this is one of my best hunting purchases that I've made hands down!!!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 am

I only have two sits in the IWOM and I still prefer the HBS. The IWOM is definitely the better option when standing in the ready position. The HBS is more comfortable in sub zero temps. IWOM was as warm as my old set up...wool coveralls and a sleeping bag. I did like the profile better with the IWOM. I always feel like Towelie in the tree when wearing the HBS.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:08 am

E72 wrote:I have the HBS and it works . One thing I don't like is the bulky material surrounding your boots and I don't even use the extra boot covers . Sometimes you step on the material when moving your feet. Thought about using a small bungee or cinch strap around my ankles to tighten the suit around the foot better . Now for the IWOM , just how do you turn from the far left side to right side of your tree ? Looks like you would have to really shuffle your feet around to make that happen. ??

It isnt much of a shuffle with the IWOM. I recommend you do the comparison between the IWOM and the HBS at temps closer to zero if you do the comparison yourself.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Bump

remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Doesn't look warm enough once the snow starts flying?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:58 am

remmag wrote:Doesn't look warm enough once the snow starts flying?

Did you look at the XT-Brutal Gear Series?

http://www.shop.iwomouterwear.com/IWOM- ... s-IHPS.htm

It's windproof and waterproof and very well insulated even more so than my "cold weather" coveralls I wore in the past.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvdRjKs1bFY[/bbvideo]
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:56 am

I have an hbs and it seems that the iwom folks have addressed every weak point that the hbs has- in my eyes....you can climb into your stand with it on, It has a hood, it seems to has a smaller profile (not as much blob in the tree effect) and it has pockets. If it's as warm as the hbs, I'd take the Iwom. The prices seem comparable

Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:28 am

LOVE my iwom. anything below 30 degrees and i'm in it.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:32 am

matt1336 wrote:I have an hbs and it seems that the iwom folks have addressed every weak point that the hbs has- in my eyes....you can climb into your stand with it on, It has a hood, it seems to has a smaller profile (not as much blob in the tree effect) and it has pockets. If it's as warm as the hbs, I'd take the Iwom. The prices seem comparable

I am the opposite. Tried the IWOM and still prefer the HBS, but I haven't tried the "new" version. Even if the functionality is improved, I'm less than impressed with the camo choices.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”