Hunting DURING a snowstorm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

huntinsonovagun

Hunting DURING a snowstorm

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 am

We've got snow on the way here in an hour or so (earliest I've seen in this part of the country). Just curious on how much movement you northern guys see durning a snowstorm. I'm lucky if I get to hunt in snow once every few years, if that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Hunting DURING a snowstorm

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:58 pm

Dress up in white. Great time to lurk around.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 am

Looks like its going to be quite a winter...

I've seen very good buck movement in snowstorms, long after you would figure they'd have bedded down. It gives the bucks great cover and keeps a lot of guys without shooting shacks out of the woods.

My favorite example is from Michigan's Upper Peninsula- I set up on the corner of a cedar swamp during a blizzard that had just began to hit the area... within minutes I had several inches of snow covering all my clothing and gun, with snow flying sideways and hard. I had about 15 feet of visibility at that point, and I heard a noise behind me. I turned my head to see a shooter buck trot by behind me about 10 feet away... he was visible for about two seconds and I never got my gun up- but its one of those encounters you do not forget.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 am

It seems like the first snow slows things down...

... but the best stories 'up north' ..."...I was hunting during a snowstorm... and I came across a huge buck track so smoking hot there was fire in it..."

[ Post made via Android ] Image
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:34 am

One of my most memorable hunts came during a snowstorm. Keep tabs on the weather, no hunt is worth your safety, and enjoy the Creators handiwork!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 am

I snuck right up on the "Blizzard Buck" during an 8 inch snow storm. It was even thundering shortly before I saw him in his bed with about5 inches of snow caked on his back.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:54 am

Snow storms can be great for bucks during the rut. They have to move more to find does because the other deer will often hold tight. Plus the older deer know hunters usually aren't around much in those conditions. In some areas, especially ones that don't normally see much snow, it can shut them down completely (well maybe not "completely") but I would be out there if you can.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Precipitation minus wind = great deer movement
I believe mature bucks are less phased by a blizzard than a monsoon....a couple people I know have shot or had shots during significant snowfalls....I grew up in the snowbelt of Michigan and the first few serious snows had deer going everywhere while making the 30 mile drive to school in the morning
Any good snow makes me want to track in season or after season ..I just love it,,,those lazy drag marks set well apart following a line of dots or weaving in and out of a swamp edge are irresistible...
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:17 pm

muddy wrote:I snuck right up on the "Blizzard Buck" during an 8 inch snow storm. It was even thundering shortly before I saw him in his bed with about5 inches of snow caked on his back.

Muddy that buck rocks! I used the 'layeth the smacketh downeth' a couple times this fall to describe kills... funny stuff.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”