Will Bucks Bed in Standing Corn

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Clevinger

Will Bucks Bed in Standing Corn

Unread postby Clevinger » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:03 pm

I struggled this year, and have been trouble-shooting. I found a series of rubs that suggests they are bedding on an adjacent property that typically doesn't have good bedding. It does have standing corn still on about 80 acres though, and frankly if I was a buck I would just sit an eat in the middle of it all day. The corn is still there due to a drought and also some financial squabbling over the property by the owners (to my understanding).

Will bucks bed in standing corn in a situation like this? They don't seem to be bedding in their usual haunts this year.

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Re: Will Bucks Bed in Standing Corn

Unread postby wibow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Absolutely.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Yes!

SpeedbeefDown

Unread postby SpeedbeefDown » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:38 am

They absolutely will do so. Where I am at they definitely prefer the standing corn. A buck I hunted this year moved from small field to small field as they were cut. They have everything that they need, cover, food, and water most of the time. Ive seen deer not leave a corn field that was being harvested until the last 30 yds of corn is being cut. Its suprisingly easy to stalk a deer in corn as well, granted the wind is right and the noise factor is eliminated by rain, or high winds. I pray for an early corn harvest every year to get my deer in the woods during daylight hours. Just never seems to happen lol.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 am

There's one standing cornfield left around here..right behind my house and adjoining Shawnee National Forest where I hunt...it's killing me. Never been standing this long in the 6yrs I've been here. No acorns this yr to pull them out. When good acorn crop the standing corn is a blessing because I can set up on good trails catching them coming and going from feeding to bedding.

There's an old pond in it also..so no reason for them to come out.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:07 am

I would give my right ear to have a standing cornfield post rut. No better attraction, food, cover, easy escape, bedding has it all.
Yes bucks will bed in the corn fields. The weedier the corn the better. The grass drainage areas are a good bedding spot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:12 am

Yup, been fighting the standing corn all season. They are in there because of the pressure in the surrounding wood lots. Like everyone else has said they have "everything" in there. I gotta come up with some better cornfield hunting tactics for future years like this.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 am

Stanley wrote:I would give my right ear to have a standing cornfield post rut. No better attraction, food, cover, easy escape, bedding has it all.
Yes bucks will bed in the corn fields. The weedier the corn the better. The grass drainage areas are a good bedding spot.

X2. May give up the left ear instead. ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:14 am

wibow wrote:Absolutely.

x2!!!!
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:I would give my right ear to have a standing cornfield post rut. No better attraction, food, cover, easy escape, bedding has it all.

X2. May give up the left ear instead. ;)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lmao!! x3!! After the corn came out on the land I hunt I got 2 new bucks on cam. They were living/sleeping that cornfield.

Very good post Stan. I totally agree.
AntlerAddiction

Unread postby AntlerAddiction » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:00 am

They will bed in there for sure.

They prefer grass bottomed areas and also the buffer zones in canals or ditches through the corn field.

I believe Andrae touched on this in the hill country DVD. He said some thing like anywhere there was variation in the terrain was also likely area. You would prob have to be somewhat familiar with the lay of the land prior to it being planted and growing up for this infop to benefit you at this point.
Clevinger

Unread postby Clevinger » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:34 am

I can't get at them then. It's private property.

When snow falls and we head into winter will they return to the woods?
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Come out here to wNY- and if we can find a buck anywhere other than standing corn I will ask him for you....more standing corn than usual and less deer action than usual
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:41 am

X2 on the waterway or grass buffer inside the actual corn filed, they general have a few key spots they will exit the field in my experience if revolves around being able to see when the exit, same thing in warm season grass, I spent pretty much all season hunting grass, standing corn and horse weed fields.

I had lots of encounters and they were all from the ground, there was timber around but all the mature bucks were not any where near a tree. I watched and listened to three different bucks make a tremendous amount of noise in the weeds make a j hook to get the wind in their nose and all exit at the same spot. They were not shooters but all walked with in 5 yards of my hide.

I think they move around more during midday then one would expect, I could hear them pretty much all day, but almost impossible to get close to that movement with a bow.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:17 pm

I was up next to the standing cornfield behind my place this morning and noticed the guy that owns it has had the farmer who leases the farming rights push over a wide strip right up next to the National Forest I hunt and it stops right at the old pond which has a grassy drainage ditch that runs straight down to the pond from where I hunt. No corn was harvested just broke down semi flat. He's done several strips like that I could see from hwy.

I've been hunting there early season and haven't been back..not on the fence, but back about 75yds..don't know if I can see the field or not now with the leaves gone..but I'm on the trail coming and going. Will hunt it in the morning with .58cal flintlock.

Should be even better the later the season gets into Jan. if he doesn't harvest the whole field.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”