Here is why I aim low.....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Busch Light Bandit

Re: Here is why I aim low.....

Unread postby Busch Light Bandit » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:04 am

superseal wrote:I did notice the doe was on alert and aware that something was not right. I think they react differently in that situation. If that doe was feeding and relaxed, she may have not ducked that arrow.

I thought the same thing.

All good things come to those who shoot straight
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:34 am

Northlake wrote:I had the first deer ever duck on me this year and it just so happened to be the biggest buck I've ever shot at.. was walking quickly at 35 yards and wanted to stop it so grunted lightly with my mouth and as soon as he stopped I let the arrow go and it never had a a chance, before his head even turned he was ducking... For future shots like this I will still stop them but aiming low for sure next time. I wonder how many mature bucks have learned this trick and evaded the arrow???
IMO your buck ducked because you grunted at him and alerted him. I'd rather shoot a deer walking slow then meh them or whatever then shoot them while alert. To each their own though.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:47 am

Schultzy wrote:
Northlake wrote:I had the first deer ever duck on me this year and it just so happened to be the biggest buck I've ever shot at.. was walking quickly at 35 yards and wanted to stop it so grunted lightly with my mouth and as soon as he stopped I let the arrow go and it never had a a chance, before his head even turned he was ducking... For future shots like this I will still stop them but aiming low for sure next time. I wonder how many mature bucks have learned this trick and evaded the arrow???
IMO your buck ducked because you grunted at him and alerted him. I'd rather shoot a deer walking slow then meh them or whatever then shoot them while alert. To each their own though.

I agree 100%. Killed quite few bucks moving, this year included.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”