Plug for MyTrails Android app.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodsmn

Plug for MyTrails Android app.

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 am

I was talking to Lance "DeerSlayer" on the phone a few weeks ago about various map / GPS technologies for Android handheld devices. I have to pre-download topo map and image tiles in advance for areas I go with no cell data, or the apps don't work. We were looking at an app he has been using: "MyTrails" for Android.

My [glow=red]Motorola Razr Maxx internal GPS died[/glow] when I was still-hunting a few miles from my truck, between ridges and beaver dams. I have multiple ways to stay oriented. However, I've grown accustomed to having "you are exactly here" on a Google Earth image and topo when moving around in new areas. Having "you are exactly here" helps me pick good routes and get a better lay of the land.

... Even though my device was crippled having no GPS [glow=red]I was able to create a waypoint in MyTrails and then manually edit the exact position using UTM coordinates obtained from old handheld GPS unit.[/glow] So I was able to get "you are exactly here" info without opening my physical topo map and laying the UTM grid tool on top of the map to get within 100 meters.

I guess this is a plug for MyTrails because it knew where to put the waypoint pin after I manually edited the coordinates... even though it no longer had access to my phone's GPS.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Plug for MyTrails Android app.

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:52 am

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dennism

Unread postby dennism » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 am

I use my trails. It's awesome.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Best $4 I have spent in a while. Used it to back track almost 2 miles back out of the swamp at night.

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:51 pm

Another nice thing is having the USGA topos as well. In hill country I have been trying to hit those elevation points and it nice to mark a way point on the exact setup location then review the map afterwards

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:16 pm

I really like the Microsoft aerials that you get access to on MyTrails.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:32 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:I really like the Microsoft aerials that you get access to on MyTrails.

I'll have to check out the Microsoft aerials. Is there a "real" GPS unit that you can load (both) up-to-date aerials and topos into? These phones are too cheaply made. People say get an iPhone with a waterproof case instead of an Android. iPhone doesn't have a real GPS receiver inside it.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:34 am

mt008 wrote:Best $4 I have spent in a while. Used it to back track almost 2 miles back out of the swamp at night.

Nice! That would have been a long night waiting for the sun to come up....
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 am

I use aerials on my Android phone but still use a GPS marking waypoints and trails. My GPS has detailed topos (1:24000) but no aerials.

What is the advantage with utilizing the phone? I just think the battery will die to soon.

I carry (2) compasses, GPS and now my phone to assist with navigation.

What does the MY Trails ap provide that a GPS doesn't?
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:25 am

MyTrails just provides the aerials and topos that my GPS doesn't have. I have the Lowrance H20c (which is a fantastic unit for fishing because it has 1ft lake bottom contour data - LakeMaster chip). My old phone let me change batteries so I carried multiple. My new phone is the Razr Maxx which lasts forever. I leave it off except when I'm establishing an exact "you are here." Then I go still-hunting for a few more hours.

Like you, I use my old GPS to mark things. I mark my truck and the beaver dams or the other land bridges I cross - so I can get back to my truck. In some places you'd have to walk "forever" if you don't cross at the same beaver dams.

I like having the points in MyTrails because I can export to KML or GPX file and import into Google Earth when I get home. Or the other way around. I can create a file in Google Earth and load it into that app. I use "GPS Babel" for Windows to convert to-and-from KML/GPX file formats.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:41 am

Basically Hodag I need a hunting GPS like the one you have. I really like aerials too though for low areas and flowages because they provide more useful info in those flatter areas.

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:50 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:Basically Hodag I need a hunting GPS like the one you have. I really like aerials too though for low areas and flowages because they provide more useful info in those flatter areas.

Don't get me wrong I like looking at the aerials on the phone. Big time saver when cutting cross country.....but just don';t think it will ever replace a GPS.

This is the kind I have...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod310.html

Guess Garmin doesn't make it anymore.....
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:04 am

After my hunting camp experience from last week where 4-guys had the Rhinos I would consider buying one...

It's advantages (albeit pricey) are weather, a few other thingy's that I didn't play with like camera, email, etc.
The real nice feature was the ability to load your buddy(s) into the Rhino unit as a contact, then you can track them and/or send waypoints, etc.
Make sure he/she is a "good" contact cause now they know your route...!
I own a camp w/ 3-brothers and the camp was given to us by their father, so this is not an issue.

It comes with the regions topo chip, etc.
@ +/-$450 I will wait until the father updates and gives me his :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:20 am

That Rhino looks pretty awesome! http://www.quill.com/garmin-gps-systems/cbs/405811.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_T_405811-- Cool that the expensive one has a radio!
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:I really like the Microsoft aerials that you get access to on MyTrails.

I'll have to check out the Microsoft aerials. Is there a "real" GPS unit that you can load (both) up-to-date aerials and topos into? These phones are too cheaply made. People say get an iPhone with a waterproof case instead of an Android. iPhone doesn't have a real GPS receiver inside it.

Garmin has a few.

bigwoodsmn wrote:MyTrails just provides the aerials and topos that my GPS doesn't have. I have the Lowrance H20c (which is a fantastic unit for fishing because it has 1ft lake bottom contour data - LakeMaster chip). My old phone let me change batteries so I carried multiple. My new phone is the Razr Maxx which lasts forever. I leave it off except when I'm establishing an exact "you are here." Then I go still-hunting for a few more hours.

Like you, I use my old GPS to mark things. I mark my truck and the beaver dams or the other land bridges I cross - so I can get back to my truck. In some places you'd have to walk "forever" if you don't cross at the same beaver dams....

You can do this with MyTrails as well as show routs for walking in and out.

bigwoodsmn wrote:...I like having the points in MyTrails because I can export to KML or GPX file and import into Google Earth when I get home. Or the other way around. I can create a file in Google Earth and load it into that app. I use "GPS Babel" for Windows to convert to-and-from KML/GPX file formats.

I definitely need to learn how to do that.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”