Looking cold for WI gun opener statewide!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Looking cold for WI gun opener statewide!!

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:47 am

Looking good to me. Hopefully keeps some of the weekend warriors at home or in the bar. Packers play Sunday at noon? If so the bars will be full and I should be able to hunt with ease Sunday.

I don't like opening weekend by me........this year may be different.

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 am

I only hunt Saturday all day, and Sunday morning of opening weekend. Looks like the HBS will be in order.
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:58 am

I am trying to get my wife her first deer this weekend and am bummed about the wind. We have to leave Sunday at noon and Sunday looks like the best day to be hunting. :angry-banghead:
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:38 am

That is one of my favorite parts of gun hunting, grown men get to act like kids again, can't beat that. I really don't care if I get a deer with a rifle, its everything else thats more important to me. Not much you can do if no one is there though.
BigHunt wrote:
PLB wrote:There's nothing like the camaraderie of Deer Camp!! Dad, bro, uncles and cousins... Can't beat it. I would not gun hunt solo. Been hunting alone since Sept. Need some camp life!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

well it is what it is! im not going to not hunt because no ones there ....it will be nice to have some silence to my self ...no cigarette smoke choking me out ...the smell of last nights beer spilled every were and o yea my grandpa crushing cans at 4am in the mourning in the cabin when every one is still sleeping :roll: yea I will miss the comrads ... but really I wont miss all the shanagins :lol: I guess im just a true blooded lonewolf :mrgreen: and o yea not to mention no druken BS!!!! that's my favorite part of this season

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 am

Brad wrote:That is one of my favorite parts of gun hunting, grown men get to act like kids again, can't beat that. I really don't care if I get a deer with a rifle, its everything else thats more important to me. Not much you can do if no one is there though.
BigHunt wrote:
PLB wrote:There's nothing like the camaraderie of Deer Camp!! Dad, bro, uncles and cousins... Can't beat it. I would not gun hunt solo. Been hunting alone since Sept. Need some camp life!!

well it is what it is! im not going to not hunt because no ones there ....it will be nice to have some silence to my self ...no cigarette smoke choking me out ...the smell of last nights beer spilled every were and o yea my grandpa crushing cans at 4am in the mourning in the cabin when every one is still sleeping :roll: yea I will miss the comrads ... but really I wont miss all the shanagins :lol: I guess im just a true blooded lonewolf :mrgreen: and o yea not to mention no druken BS!!!! that's my favorite part of this season

Stop on up brad theres more then enough land forvthe both of us

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 am

James wrote:25mph+ sustained winds gusting to 40 in the forecast for SC WI. That sounds like a recipe for a miserable opener to me. I'll take anything other than high winds. I would rather have high temps than high winds.

Couldn't agree with this more. With a high temp of 22 and a low of 8 with 20 mph winds for the opener I would rather have 70 degrees. I'm in a kick up spot anyways.

However it's the opener so I'm pumped as always. 8-)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:51 am

Come on guys it's Wisconsin, bad weather is part of the fun during gun season. Some of you are probably too young to remember the huge snowstorm that dumped on the northwoods in the early-90's on opening day or years when the temps barely made it over zero. I will take a little wind and cold any day over warm temps. My worst seasons up north by far were when opening weekend temps were in the 50's or above. Might be better in the farmland but up north it sucks when warmer. Less hunting pressure and the deer just stay bedded all day and don't move at all.

Forecast for Eagle River. Sounds good to me. 8-)

Saturday

Overcast with a chance of snow. High of 19F with a windchill as low as 1F. Breezy. Winds from the NW at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 50% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy. Low of 5F. Breezy. Winds from the WNW at 10 to 20 mph.

Sunday

Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. High of 23F with a windchill as low as -8F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 20% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.
Mike

Unread postby Mike » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:58 am

Heater body suit for me and an all day sit. I'm getting some thermacare products too, some may not know about these. They are in the pharmacy section and are air activated heat like ur normal handwamers, but bigger and made to fit ur body, like low back (kidneys) and neck.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 am

Mike wrote:Heater body suit for me and an all day sit. I'm getting some thermacare products too, some may not know about these. They are in the pharmacy section and are air activated heat like ur normal handwamers, but bigger and made to fit ur body, like low back (kidneys) and
neck.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ]

Works wonders...

The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 am

whitetail4ever wrote:
Mike wrote:Heater body suit for me and an all day sit. I'm getting some thermacare products too, some may not know about these. They are in the pharmacy section and are air activated heat like ur normal handwamers, but bigger and made to fit ur body, like low back (kidneys) and
neck.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ]

Works wonders...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image[/quote
I am referring to the Thermacare back wraps..since the kidneys filter our blood, it helps keep your hand and feet warmer through this process of warming blood flow.

The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:04 am

Dewey wrote:Come on guys it's Wisconsin, bad weather is part of the fun during gun season. Some of you are probably too young to remember the huge snowstorm that dumped on the northwoods in the early-90's on opening day or years when the temps barely made it over zero. I will take a little wind and cold any day over warm temps. My worst seasons up north by far were when opening weekend temps were in the 50's or above. Might be better in the farmland but up north it sucks when warmer. Less hunting pressure and the deer just stay bedded all day and don't move at all.

Saturday
Overcast with a chance of snow. High of 19F with a windchill as low as 1F. Breezy. Winds from the NW at 15 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 50% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.
Saturday Night
Sunday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of snow. High of 23F with a windchill as low as -8F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 20% with accumulations up to 1 in. possible.

I remember the year with all the snow on opener. I just as well could have hunted with my jackknife.literally couldn't see more than 15' with all the heavy snow hanging on branches.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:46 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:Come on guys it's Wisconsin, bad weather is part of the fun during gun season. Some of you are probably too young to remember the huge snowstorm that dumped on the northwoods in the early-90's on opening day or years when the temps barely made it over zero. I will take a little wind and cold any day over warm temps. My worst seasons up north by far were when opening weekend temps were in the 50's or above. Might be better in the farmland but up north it sucks when warmer. Less hunting pressure and the deer just stay bedded all day and don't move at all.

Saturday
Saturday Night
Sunday

I remember the year with all the snow on opener. I just as well could have hunted with my jackknife.literally couldn't see more than 15' with all the heavy snow hanging on branches.

That was a fun year! However, that was before a hefty wolf population and aggressive northwoods management. Prepare for the cold.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:43 pm

I remember the huge snow of the 90's. They extended gun season that year.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:13 am

Just looked at weather ...friday for western Wisconsin. .looks like 75 % chance of snow ...THAT WOULD BE AWESOME :dance: just enough to see them better

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BJE80

Unread postby BJE80 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:36 am

Predicted winds have gone down a bit for my area. Looks like 15-20 MPH now. At what point does the wind start to affect deer movement?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”