Bad Ending

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

blackwolf
500 Club

Bad Ending

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Spent 4 hours today walking grids with my hunting partner trying to recover a nice buck he shot yesterday but was unable to recover before rain and darkness last night.
Finally came across what was left, a few bone chips, and hair. A wolf pack found him last night. They even carried the head and horns away and we were unable to
locate them so far. This was all about 200 yards from where he last found blood late yesterday afternoon right before the rain. Hard to believe how little they left, no carcass, ate bones and all.
I wonder how many wolves were in the pack. This was in Bayfield County in a real wolf infested area.

Dewey

Re: Bad Ending

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear that! Too bad you couldn't at least find the rack.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm

Bummer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 am

It's amazing how fast they can find a kill and then eat everything if they so choose. Destructive animals. sorry to hear about your buds buck.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:44 am

We've fed the wolves a few times over the years, have NEVER found a rack yet. Just hair and hooves and not much else. Rarely a bone left.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:17 am

That sucks. I hate wolves.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:35 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:That sucks. I hate wolves.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yep

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dbltmn

Unread postby dbltmn » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:55 am

I have hunted Bayfield Cty for about 7 years up to 2010. I have come across several wolf killed or wolf eaten deer and even a small bear once. The odd thing to me is not recovering bones/head. Most wolf kills Ive seen the wolves eat the "good meat" and strip the animal from behind the ears all the way to the knees. Also the guts are left by the wolf kills I have seen. Usually leaving the lower legs and head in tact. Just my observations but maybe coyotes had something to do with what you found. I have read that coyotes are more scavenger-istic than wolves (yes I made up a new word). Coyotes will drag deer parts all over the place. It is also possible that the wolves ate the good stuff leaving the remains to be found by coyotes and they got into whatever was left.

It stinks to loose a deer to the dogs for sure and one thing I have always found is when I come up to the carnage created by a deer being ripped apart by a dog pack it always makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It is a creepy sight for sure.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can confirm or deny what I have noticed- As I do not claim to be an expert, just my observations over 10-15 animals I have come across.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:59 am

Wolves devour the bones and all. Looks like a mass murder crime scene from a horror movie. Pretty eerie... :shock:

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:03 am

Wolves can clean a whole deer up, like Blackwolf's case or just pic apart what they want..... sometimes they just kill for the thrill of it with little of the deer eaten.

I do see them eat the nose a lot.....I can't explain that one. :?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”