Should I set up in this tree?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Should I set up in this tree?

Unread postby Country » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:24 pm

I found a nice 1/2 acre island in the middle of a marsh with a lot of buck sign. I believe I did find the actual buck bed, but I'm not 100% certain. I followed a trail to the west of the island into the swamp and found several beds, I'm speculating they're doe beds. Coming out of the south side of the island is a nice trail going through the swamp leading to another small area with several trees. I'm thinking the buck on the island is taking this trail south to the crop fields. The only tree that looked stand-worthy had another bed right under it...fresh poopies in it...There were two more trees within 15 yards with beds under them as well...no rubs. Should I risk setting up in the one good tree and spooking the does out if they're home or should I stay away? Thanks.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Should I set up in this tree?

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:10 am

I would try to set up 75 yards farther down the trail if at all possible. You could go all out for a morning sit right over the beds like that and kill them as they come back, but I think you will be doing some damage to that bedding area as far as this season goes.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 am

Thanks...I appreciate the advice. Man, I'm excited about this spot. Looks awesome. One more thing I forgot to mention is I found a narrow but defined trail leading out the north side of the island. I decided to hike it a bit wondering where in the world a deer would be going using this trail...as it appeared to be leading into the middle of the cattails. 15-20 yards into the cattails, it j-hooks to the east/south east. I believe this is the trail the buck uses to scent check the island before bedding down there. Man, this is awesome finding this stuff...it's really exciting to find all the evidence.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:22 am

Cool find.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”