Does still with fawns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail4ever

Does still with fawns

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:09 am

Can anybody shed some light as to why there would be does still hanging with fawns at this point? Are they possibly coming into estrous late? Do they regroup with their fawns after they finish estrous cycle? Just curious...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
solocam88
500 Club

Re: Does still with fawns

Unread postby solocam88 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:15 am

A doe will keep doe fawns with her for a long time. Through the winter till spring sometimes. Nub bucks are different she will give him the boot as soon as he can fend for himself.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:43 am

Not sure how late they normally nurse but I saw a fawn nursing the last week of OCT this year.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:07 am

whitetail4ever wrote:Can anybody shed some light as to why there would be does still hanging with fawns at this point? Are they possibly coming into estrous late? Do they regroup with their fawns after they finish estrous cycle? Just curious...

In my areas fawns and does will come back together right after she is bred. Then thru the winter they from small family groups. Orphan fawns will hook up with other does with and without fawns. They get kicked away in spring when the doe will drop her new fawns.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:
whitetail4ever wrote:Can anybody shed some light as to why there would be does still hanging with fawns at this point? Are they possibly coming into estrous late? Do they regroup with their fawns after they finish estrous cycle? Just curious...

In my areas fawns and does will come back together right after she is bred. Then thru the winter they from small family groups. Orphan fawns will hook up with other does with and without fawns. They get kicked away in spring when the doe will drop her new fawns.

I agree with this.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
3dpinwheeler

Unread postby 3dpinwheeler » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Stanley wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:

I agree with this.

Ditto here
whitetail_addict

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:15 pm

I also live in west central WI and am seeing the does and fawns together again. It's normal and just a sign that the rut is winding down as the majority of does have likely been bred by now. Some guys might think these does haven't been bred yet when in reality, as if often does, the rut has come and gone pretty quickly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”