New member...needing help/advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: New member...needing help/advice

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:12 am

HoosierG5 wrote:I'm trying to wrap my head around this...but if I set up on the leeward side of the ridge should I be hunting above or below the trail I believe he will be taking? If I'm hunting the leeward side I would have to be below the trail to have my scent not carry across the trail (envisioning a ridge where I'm on the right side). Hunting ridges- obviously the lower you are the higher you have to climb. If I'm 20 ft or so below in elevation I'd have to climb at least 20 ft to be parallel with the trail. Is that right?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

You want to be hunting above the trail you expect the deer to be coming down.

I would also set up on the high side of the thermal tunnel and get as high as you can cuz you want that prevailing wind to carry your scent over the thermal tunnle..... you don't want it swirling around in there...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:33 am

BigHunt wrote:
HoosierG5 wrote:I'm trying to wrap my head around this...but if I set up on the leeward side of the ridge should I be hunting above or below the trail I believe he will be taking? If I'm hunting the leeward side I would have to be below the trail to have my scent not carry across the trail (envisioning a ridge where I'm on the right side). Hunting ridges- obviously the lower you are the higher you have to climb. If I'm 20 ft or so below in elevation I'd have to climb at least 20 ft to be parallel with the trail. Is that right?

You want to be hunting above the trail you expect the deer to be coming down.

I would also set up on the high side of the thermal tunnel and get as high as you can cuz you want that prevailing wind to carry your scent over the thermal tunnle..... you don't want it swirling around in there...

as you see in this great pic :mrgreen: you should try and get above the tunnel as much as possible so your scent aint rolling around
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

That is one awesome pic! Ha! Seriously, thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

HoosierG5 wrote:That is one awesome pic! Ha! Seriously, thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Lol im glad I could help

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 am

I walked and walked this morning with a good snow on the ground, and I targeted all of the areas you suggested. I found 2 different sets of beds, 6 total. 1 of which was a buck bed and the other 5 all does obviously. I was amazed at how much traffic there was on nearly every ridge I walked 1/3 of the way down from the top. The information in Dan's video, and the rationale on the topo maps made me a believer this AM. Thanks guys!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:11 am

Leeward side above the trail... it sounds incorrect but you want the wind to blow over the cruzn trail. If you are not hunting high on the pts you are missing out....

If you have not, I highly recommend you buy Dan's DVD on hunting Hill Country... it explains things with visuals. Once you understand the technique... picking the right spot in the hills is much easier :mrgreen:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”