New member...needing help/advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HoosierG5
500 Club

New member...needing help/advice

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 am

Well, I am hunting my rear off. I have a decent sized farm to hunt, and I have hunted it for years, but it is wearing me out. Please weigh in on your thoughts and opinions as to the best locations to go beast on a big whitey! All sides near roads get trespassed heavily. It is very similar to hunting public ground.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/ ... 2a6c04.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c338/ ... eca4bc.jpg

I hunt the square with the 27 in it. However, the NW corner and the NE corner get hammered hard. I park at the farmhouse in the bottom right corner. I have access thru log roads throughout the property.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: New member...needing help/advice

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:23 am

Maybe this will work better!

URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/stoutk/media/image_zps51eca4bc.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

URL=http://s30.photobucket.com/user/stoutk/media/image_zpsb1647438.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

Unread postby Riverdeer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:47 am

i don't know much about reading these maps, but try hunting in the bottom of the ridges, or hunt on top of the ridge looking down into the bottom of the ridge, deer may stay in the bottom of the ridge if the wind blows really hard. I by no means am a expert or anything ike that, one of the guys on here can help u better than I can. and guys tell me if im wrong about this
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:07 am

Realistically, I try to hunt as close to the house as possible. The ridge behind the house has been clearcut 3 years ago and is now producing some good vegetation and undergrowth.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:09 am

When I get hone on the pc ....ivwill takeva gander...looks awesome...plenty of bedding areas looks like

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:15 am

Riverdeer wrote:i don't know much about reading these maps, but try hunting in the bottom of the ridges, or hunt on top of the ridge looking down into the bottom of the ridge, deer may stay in the bottom of the ridge if the wind blows really hard. I by no means am a expert or anything ike that, one of the guys on here can help u better than I can. and guys tell me if im wrong about this

95 percent of the time dear going to be bedding off the tip of that point with the wind coming over there back in the thermals rushing in the face the reason why I say 95 percent is because the other five percent is odd ball bedding areas were there swirling Windsor some kind of terrain feature like a rock or a hillside or something is affecting that wind

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:54 am

red dots are potential bedding
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:02 am

red bedding ..I put yellow dots were I would sit on a south, south west or south east winds

blue dots for north, north east winds

hope this helps ...good luck man !
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:03 am

in sprin gi would walk ur but off and scout scout scout!! I would walk that hole elevation line
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:33 am

Big hunt,I'm curious. On a south wind would u hunt the most southern ridge stands in both am and pm?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:56 am

semperfidelis wrote:Big hunt,I'm curious. On a south wind would u hunt the most southern ridge stands in both am and pm?

early season pm..

rut all day sits in pinch points , funnles, close to bedding and feeding.

personally I do ...but others motioned how they set up low in the mourning before the thermals take affect , then move up into that ''tunnle'' zone. I set with the wrong wind knowing it will change at a cirtin time. or ill just come in right about the time the thermals take affect about 8-9 9-10 am depends on how fast the sun hits that vally floor ...but your scouting will dictate how you learn about the wind on that particular piece of ground ...I would suggest going out there in the spring and ''play ''with the thermals ....take bubbles or milkweed LOTS of it and see exactly how the wind moves through the terrain. you will be very surprised on what you see and what you thought was happing most likely isn't ...
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Thx!

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Holy cow. That is some amazing information. Do you have any advice close to the SE corner? All of the areas you have listed are areas I don't touch. Especially during gun season...it's simply not worth the risk of being shot. I have food plots in all the ag fields that you can see from the air in that square, but truly hunt primarily the eastern half of that square.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:14 pm

HoosierG5 wrote:Holy cow. That is some amazing information. Do you have any advice close to the SE corner? All of the areas you have listed are areas I don't touch. Especially during gun season...it's simply not worth the risk of being shot. I have food plots in all the ag fields that you can see from the air in that square, but truly hunt primarily the eastern half of that square.

I would still imagin they are going to bed up high off points ...the most important thing is making sure the wind is right to hunt , if your not hunting the leeward side ''downwind'' see then you most likely art going to see any thing ...and with It being gun hunting im sure once bullets start flying deer are going to be laing low ..
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:23 am

I'm trying to wrap my head around this...but if I set up on the leeward side of the ridge should I be hunting above or below the trail I believe he will be taking? If I'm hunting the leeward side I would have to be below the trail to have my scent not carry across the trail (envisioning a ridge where I'm on the right side). Hunting ridges- obviously the lower you are the higher you have to climb. If I'm 20 ft or so below in elevation I'd have to climb at least 20 ft to be parallel with the trail. Is that right?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”