(Poll) Have you archery killed a buck from the ground.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

have you archery killed a buck from the ground?

Yes
63%
no
37%

Total votes: 115
keb
500 Club

Re: (Poll) Have you archery killed a buck from the ground.

Unread postby keb » Sat May 03, 2014 12:18 am

My 1st buck was from the ground. That was 20 years ago. I hunted from the ground allot this year and missed, with that being said, I got more action from the ground in off the wall spots and have zero tree stand sets for this fall.

The game is changing and so are the deer.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat May 03, 2014 12:22 am

keb wrote:My 1st buck was from the ground. That was 20 years ago. I hunted from the ground allot this year and missed, with that being said, I got more action from the ground in off the wall spots and have zero tree stand sets for this fall.

The game is changing and so are the deer.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Keb...........do you just sit in a downed tree top or something like that?
bbrilmyer

Unread postby bbrilmyer » Sat May 03, 2014 5:42 am

Maybe more than Marc Anthony apparently..... :lol:
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun May 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Nope, drawn on a few does on the ground but never taken a shot or buck

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon May 05, 2014 6:27 am

For anyone to be the best he or she can be at killing whitetails, in my opinion they need to figure out the deer 1st... Then decide how to kill it. If a buck is staging in a forest the best way to kill it is out of a tree, if he is in a brush field you need to get him on the ground.

Anybody who "just" hunts ground, or only hunts trees, or always hunts low or always high, is limiting his game and making it more difficult to kill big bucks.

I have shot deer from a hole in the ground, from ground level, from 6 feet up, from 30 feet up, and will continue to kill them in whatever manor they require me to use to kill them. Every situation is different.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon May 05, 2014 10:04 am

dan wrote:For anyone to be the best he or she can be at killing whitetails, in my opinion they need to figure out the deer 1st... Then decide how to kill it. If a buck is staging in a forest the best way to kill it is out of a tree, if he is in a brush field you need to get him on the ground.

[glow=red]Anybody who "just" hunts ground, or only hunts trees, or always hunts low or always high, is limiting his game and making it more difficult to kill big bucks.[/glow]

I have shot deer from a hole in the ground, from ground level, from 6 feet up, from 30 feet up, and will continue to kill them in whatever manor they require me to use to kill them. Every situation is different.

Good advice - but of all the options out there I do think most hunters dismiss the possibility of a ground set up when picking a spot too quickly. About half my set ups are from the ground, hunting hill and farm country. A lot of them are in woods. Setting up on the ground will almost always be faster and quieter than any tree stand, just like being up in a tree stand will almost always let you get away with a bit more movement w/o being spotted. Some places you can see and shoot much better at ground level, other spots are much better in a tree stand. When picking every new spot I have learned to ask myself - is a tree stand going to give me a significant advantage here? I have surprised myself with how often the answer has been no.
JohnnieU

Unread postby JohnnieU » Mon May 05, 2014 2:16 pm

JoeRE wrote:
dan wrote:For anyone to be the best he or she can be at killing whitetails, in my opinion they need to figure out the deer 1st... Then decide how to kill it. If a buck is staging in a forest the best way to kill it is out of a tree, if he is in a brush field you need to get him on the ground.

[glow=red]Anybody who "just" hunts ground, or only hunts trees, or always hunts low or always high, is limiting his game and making it more difficult to kill big bucks.[/glow]

Good advice - but of all the options out there I do think most hunters dismiss the possibility of a ground set up when picking a spot too quickly. About half my set ups are from the ground, hunting hill and farm country. A lot of them are in woods. Setting up on the ground will almost always be faster and quieter than any tree stand, just like being up in a tree stand will almost always let you get away with a bit more movement w/o being spotted. Some places you can see and shoot much better at ground level, other spots are much better in a tree stand. When picking every new spot I have learned to ask myself - is a tree stand going to give me a significant advantage here? I have surprised myself with how often the answer has been no.

Great advice. I am adding more ground hunting to my deer game. I have drawn and shot with a turkey at 11 yards, and they are better at spotting movement than deer (IMO); so I am not worried about a deer seeing me. Also, much like JoeRE I have noticed set-ups where I hang a stand and it cuts off my visibility, shooting lanes or allows a deer to see me from much farther out. My one concern is dealing with scent on hillsides. I find that bucks usually move along a contour before heading up or downhill. Do you set up on the hillside and shoot up or down hill? How do you deal with the wind on a leeward hillside?
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon May 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Drawn many times and have shot does from the ground. Only buck I ever actually killed with archery on the ground was wounded and I stalked and shot him in his bed. My brother in law had spine shot him and was out of arrows.

Almost all of my gun killed deer have been on the ground.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:01 am

The buck in my avatar was killed from the ground with my bow in 2010. As Dan mentioned above, the situation called for it.

Last year, with my gun I returned to a ground blind for the first time in over a decade and got a doe on opening day and an 8 pointer on day 2. If it wasn't for the frigid, windy weather I would have been in a treestand though!
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue May 06, 2014 10:15 am

jthomas3 wrote:No deer yet from a ground blind, but I killed a turkey from a 4 stake - 3-1/2 ft tall camo cloth ground blind sitting against a large poplar tree to help break my outline. I used a traditional long bow I made myself at 25 yds.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

way cool 8-) 8-) 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”