Am I done with this one?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tractorsaw1

Am I done with this one?

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:58 pm

Long story short my 2nd beast hunt on a new property. First hunt was Monday night on a nw wind. What I expected didn't happen. I expected deer travel on the leeward side. 4:30 a spike comes over the top of the ridge & heads off down thru the valley. Right at dark Im taking my stand down & 4 does come hauling up the same trail the spike went down. It appeared to be a decent body buck brining up the rear, it was rainy & got dark early. I watch them walk/chase off & continue packing up. When Im about done had my hat light on a deer snorts on the same path the others were on.

Tonight I should of study the topo better & set up further north on this basically north south ridge where there is a cut out that the buck was bedded in(my guess). Instead I setup closer to the trail the spike came down. 3:45 a basket8 is heading north east over the top of the ridge again (man these are some ridge jumpers). Its a south west wind, so he eventually gets wind of me & turns around headed back the way he came. didn't expect him to cut over between me & where I came in from. The real kicker is I had to get home early & started packing up with good light left. Stand on my back & I am taking stick #2 off & I hear one coming. At about 10 yards from me I can't take it anymore & want to see it before it cuts my ground scent. He's approaching from behind me. I turn around on the tree & he wirls around & trots off to about 60 yards & just goes on around me over top the ridge like im not a problem. #1 I should of been closer to the expected bed, but if Im in the tree I think I get a close shot. South west wind again tomorrow, do you try again or have I done blown this one? Ill try & post up a topo later. I have been struggling all week & this is as close as ive been to a decent buck. I don't have a lot of southwest wind setups & its gonna be that for a while so I may hit it anyway. Thanks

Tractorsaw1

Re: Am I done with this one?

Unread postby Tractorsaw1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:20 pm

I could be off on where the buck was bedded, but this is my guess. I didn't get a good look at the cage, but it was good sized body deer 3 or 4 year old.

Red is buck
Blue is hunter

Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”