river bottom rub a dub dub

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yungbuck
500 Club

river bottom rub a dub dub

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:15 pm

so after walking around 30 miles this year to and from stands in private and public lands in my small amount of hunting I have never come across rubs like these. they were on a path and mixed in with some average small rubs. What do these tell you? Would they impact your set up? Do deer like to rub certain trees more than others...seems like cedars get hammered compated to other ones I was looking at. thanks beasts

nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
hunter_mike

Re: river bottom rub a dub dub

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Put a camera on it? That thing is so ripped up, i always get paranoid a person made it when i find big rubs. I have heard of signpost rubs that get used annually by every buck in the area, this could be one.

I was out inspecting rr bridges in north dakota in an area where there were no trees and the local bucks had started using the railroad signposts as rubbing "trees" so much that they had become hourglass shaped and some had even been snapped off.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:38 pm

Those are awesome , that came from a beast. I would definitely wanta know the maker.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:31 pm

Awesome rub!

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:44 pm

When you find a good size rub shredded like that you know it's a shooter! At least it is for me because he is most likely at least 3.5

I would be looking at a topo and aerials to try to figure out where he is going to and from so you can figure out how set up on him.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Based on the height of those rubs I would say the buck is likely 3 years old. The rubs alone only tell me a buck has been there. 95% of rubs are made at night. Knowing a buck is there, is 1/2 the battle though. Now you need to figure out where he is during daylight.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 am

Nice looking rub. Hope you get on him! I would get downwind of the nearest doe bedding area relative to these rubs. Take advantage of any downwind funnels created by the river bottom. River bottom travel is relatively predictable.

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:16 am

dan wrote:Based on the height of those rubs I would say the buck is likely 3 years old. The rubs alone only tell me a buck has been there. 95% of rubs are made at night. Knowing a buck is there, is 1/2 the battle though. Now you need to figure out where he is during daylight.

X2,goodluck on him man! Love the big rasp file looking rubs!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:42 am

Definetly some good looking buck sign. I would try to find out whare he's betting and get after him.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:06 pm

I always paid more attention to the height of the rub rather than the diameter. I've witnessed some really small deer rub the sides of large trees with one side of their antler. But, I've never seen a small deer get up on his hind legs to rub higher up a tree :) Seriously though, I like the tall rubs...it's telling me that the deer has some height to his rack, and usually height means age in my woods.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:25 pm

they were in a line all about 100 yards apart and about 30 yards south of some thorn thicket...its a public spot that I have never check for beds but I kept thinking the farther along I go the less people I will find. I found some hunter sign (scent drippers) and a tree stand. My challenge is to seek out buck bedding. I struggle with river bottom bedding area because the ground is flat so no funnels or ridges to search for that 1/3 down the ridge tactic. I am excited about the sign (largest I have ever found), but I know that I am not the only one hunting this area. I was about a mile from the path which eliminates most hunters, but there are still some guys in the run.

i have listed the river in black and the rubs in the yellow region I would love some insights to the hunt again i struggle with this whole river bottom bed searching but any advice or tips would be appreciated...i too like the rubs and would love to be able to take a mature deer now that I have one under my belt I almost feel like I am more jacked now to take one than before (I assume you all understand my pains) hahah
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:40 am

aerial?
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:58 pm

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:03 am

On your aerial its very had to see the definition. I would look a different aerials and zoom in on that bowl to the west that the rubs come out of. Loot for changes in tree or vegetation types, openings, or edges.
Jay

Unread postby Jay » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:49 am

Looks to me like he is skirting a doe bedding area. I would find that transition line and camp out on him. This time of year he could come through at any time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”