Making a Mock Scrape

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jake Schnetz

Making a Mock Scrape

Unread postby Jake Schnetz » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:46 am

I was curious on how you all would make a mock-scrape? As far as the lure that you would use along with the area you would create it in or if you would be able to place this over a pre-existing scrape..etc..Please let me know!

muddy

Re: Making a Mock Scrape

Unread postby muddy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:07 pm

I use a stick and scrape off the leaves or whatever is there down to dirt. Then I discard that stick AWAY from my location. I then hang one of those magnum scrape drippers above the scrape trying to keep scent to a minimum. Then I pee in the scrape and hang my trail cam. I don't hunt over mock scrapes but I do love to hang cams on them to inventory what's out there.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I had good luck doing the same thing that muddy described minus the dripper but adding orbital gland scent to a licking branch.
I've also simply scraped leaves away from under a branch/vine that could be used as a licking branch and peed on the bare dirt. If a buck comes across this set up he should freshen it up for you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:29 am

I've made some mock scrapes in the past. I usually start them in September and the deer take them over. I did make one right at the 2nd week of gun season one year just to use up a bottle of Active Scrape I had that was left over from earlier in the year. I shot a 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer a 4pm that came right to it. also a trick is to scoop up dirt from a real scrape that deer have made and put it in the mock scrape.
MnHunter

Unread postby MnHunter » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:41 am

I tried something different this year and bought Code Blues Grave Digger "Scrape Mate". Basically a package of dirt infused with scent to last a month or more. I placed in in a random spot that had a licking branch above it - Had deer coming to it steady the next day and weeks after.

Moving forward I am just going to pee in it myself as I'm sure it works the same.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 am

Just watched a Midwest Whitetail episode on this...I used wire, wire snips, and a pruner with some code blue. I cut a branch off a beech tree (deer in my area like beech trees) and placed two of them in spots I wanted them on a ridge I can hunt easily with multiple winds. I cut the branches and wired them around the trees placing them 4-5 ft off the ground. Kicked out the dirt underneath with my boot. Sprayed it down on the dirt and the leaves with buck urine and hung the cam. I had a buck I've been trying to find all year in it 1 1/2 days later.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”