Wind Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Wind Question

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I was thinking today... why does a buck like a wind obstacle at his bed?

I am assuming since wind is like water when it flows, once the wind hits an obstacle, the speed would increase once the obstacle is cleared.

Also, if the obstacle is big enough, would the wind "clear" the buck's bed avoiding him the ability to scent above him??

Am I thinking into this too much :lol:

hunter_mike

Re: Wind Question

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:59 pm

I was actually just reading an article related to this today in field n stream. The hunting guide who wrote the article said that when cold weather hits the bucks prefer a bigger obstacle in between them and the wind in order to conserve body heat from escaping.

And now i am also purely speculating myself but i know that i can hear things much better when im standing out of the wind rather than with the wind howling in my ears. Interesting question i want to see what people say.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
mauser06
500 Club

Re: Wind Question

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:07 pm

I agree...its probably to get "out of the wind"..also, to provide concealment.... they cant see what's behind them...they like to be a blue to smell it...but they don't want to be seen...

Also...think of a boulder in a stream....where is the big trout at? Behind that boulder....why? Because the water goes around that boulder and concentrates a conveyor belt of food right to it.....I'm assuming scent would do the same....if they had a tree or rock behind them blocking wind....

I don't see them bed against hard cover too often...but they will tuck in next to brush or a tangle etc..

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”