Entrance Question.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Entrance Question.

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:19 am

I have a piece of public I am wanting to hunt Thursday morning.

I have very limited access to this parcel due to surrounding private. I am wanting to hunt a leeward point.
I cannot access from a draw on the windward side.

My only option is to walk the ridge line down to the point I want to hunt.

I was curious if I were to drop down on the windward side of the ridge ....would my wind still be drawn down to the thermal tunnel on the leeward side during my entrance?

If that doesn't make sense I will dot a map when I get in this evening

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Entrance Question.

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 am

backstraps wrote:I have a piece of public I am wanting to hunt Thursday morning.

I have very limited access to this parcel due to surrounding private. I am wanting to hunt a leeward point.
I cannot access from a draw on the windward side.

My only option is to walk the ridge line down to the point I want to hunt.

I was curious if I were to drop down on the windward side of the ridge ....would my wind still be drawn down to the thermal tunnel on the leeward side during my entrance?

If that doesn't make sense I will dot a map when I get in this evening

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If your going in during daylight your scent will drift from the bottom of the hill up to the thermal tunnel where it will collide with the regular wind. If your going in before light, the actual wind may pull your scent further down and or away, but the vacuum effect of wind over the top may pull your scent up anyway too...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks Dan for the reply.

Here is what I am looking at.

Thursday I was going to leave the house around 4am, puts me at this stand around 10:00am
The winds are supposed to be straight South winds, at 14mph. throughout the day with temps warming up from 34 to 58.

[glow=red]The dark blue is the path I was going to take to the light blue stand sites...
I was concerned about my scent carrying along the green lines to the buck beds, or even being drawn over to the leeward thermal tunnel while I am walking in.[/glow]

The red dots are confirmed buck beds, but the buck bed above the "940" was the best looking bed, and I assume most used under a SW wind. I was hoping to hunt the first blue dot unless you think the second would be better. The second blue dot though I could be setting myself up for a longer shot due to that area being so wide?

If I were to enter on the windward side, at 10am sun will be bright by then, and the leeward side has a large wide bottoms that should create strong thermals.... do you think my scent will draw over the ridge top? I think my scent will kill the far west buck bed for sure...but I don't know?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Go thru fast and don't let your scent blow that way for a long time, might help top come in by dropping down low and then swinging up to the 1st hunt spot... Second spot don't look good for a south wind, you would need S.W.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks Dan

Appreciate it!
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Why do you think the bucks will come up 100ft towards the top of the ridge, versus staying at the elevation they are bedded at, or even drop down in the valley? Boy this hill stuff has me confused.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Its not that I think the buck will come up 100ft...but rather I want to set up in a position to allow my scent to blow over the wind tunnel. It is possible the buck could/would travel up 100 ft elevation though to cross the saddle.

I do however expect him to stay in the wind tunnel elevation to check the wind from above as well as the thermals from below. Hopefully he will be cruising as the rut still hasn't kicked off good yet.

The wind tunnel could be a little closer, and if I am 20-25 feet in a tree, my scent should clear the wind tunnel easily.

In worse case scenario, that 100 ft to the tunnel will equal a 33 yard shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”