Sneaky Buck..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Sneaky Buck..

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:56 pm

Last year i had a really good buck on camera that me and my father had encountered a few times with no luck. This year I have no pictures of him at all,so i wrote him off to moving to another property or EHD. Then Friday my dad informs me that a neighbor had seen him crossing the road a few days earlier and that he had seen him that same day.The latest sighting is the one closest to the pond.I am trying to picture in my mind how he travels. The last 2 years he has been seen crossing the road at the same spot(in red,right by the access gate to the farm) right around dark. That leads me to believe he is bedding over west. That area is not hunted whatsoever(CRP). However there are obvious tracks where road hunters have tried to find where he is bedded up in there via truck. Between me and my fathers sighting(in white),i believe he is getting up from his bed to the west,crossing the fence upwind of the doe bedding area(East of that pond)and scent checking it. He then continues down a fence row scent checking the bean field to the south until he gets to the timber and continues scent checking. I plan on waiting for a wind from the south and putting a stand where the "cross hairs" are on the fence row. Thoughts?

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Sneaky Buck..

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 pm

sit there in the evening by the way..

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:58 pm

I don't see the cross hairs, but you have a three way intersection on the west end of the fence row and a four way intersection on the east end. Plus another three way to the south that he should be using. Those are the spots where I would be setting right now.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:18 am

About the center of the page on that fence row. There is a north wind tomorrow and I think I am going to try this spot out.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 am

If he is moving just before dark, I would hunt as close to his bed as possible along the wrought... Otherwise, as deerslayer pointed out, where multiple treelines meet giving you the funnel effect.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”