Primary/secondary buck bed question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Primary/secondary buck bed question

Unread postby jjm335 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:41 am

Guys,

Can you explain to me how to tell a primary buck bed from a secondary/satellite buck bed? Does anyone have any picture examples?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: Primary/secondary buck bed question

Unread postby kwaldeier » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:51 am

jjm335 wrote:Guys,

Can you explain to me how to tell a primary buck bed from a secondary/satellite buck bed? Does anyone have any picture examples?

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:32 am

Secondary bedding, and satellite beds, are two different things... I would consider secondary a term for non-primary beds...
Satellite beds are bed that are in or near a bedding area, but not in the prime spot... Generally the prime bed gets used by the best buck ( or most dominant ) in the bedding area that day, and the satellite beds get used after the best is full.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:42 am

Red primary... Blue satellite... brown area is cattails
jjm335

Unread postby jjm335 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:38 am

Dan, what are some of the things you look for to determine its a primary bed? Any sign that helps determine?

Thanks so much for the response

kwaldeier
500 Club

Unread postby kwaldeier » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:12 am

Good info dan!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:02 pm

jjm335 wrote:Dan, what are some of the things you look for to determine its a primary bed? Any sign that helps determine?

Im no pro at bed hunting but my take on it is that the primary bed will have the best advantages for the deer and will typically be more worn but im interested to see what dan ads to this

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 pm

I think Dan was to busy hunting and never seen this, but since you wanted to hear what he had to say I figured I would bump it up for him to see.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:40 am

jjm335 wrote:Dan, what are some of the things you look for to determine its a primary bed? Any sign that helps determine?

Placement... The primary bedding areas or beds, are generally exactly where they should be... Sattalite beds are often near by in "ok" spots.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:44 am

Is it fair to say that experience with your terrain is a factor in determining the primary?

Most of what I hunt is flat and fairly featureless so identifying where the best bed should be from the map can be tough

Lately I have been finding multiple beds in general areas that I have picked from the map and experience with the terrain but am still having trouble determining the primary out of those beds... I suspect over time with experience I will be able to determine the primary...
Make It Happen
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:49 am

Swampbuck wrote:Is it fair to say that experience with your terrain is a factor in determining the primary?

Most of what I hunt is flat and fairly featureless so identifying where the best bed should be from the map can be tough

Lately I have been finding multiple beds in general areas that I have picked from the map and experience with the terrain but am still having trouble determining the primary out of those beds... I suspect over time with experience I will be able to determine the primary...

In a lot of flat terrains and thicker bedding areas the bedding area is what you should focus on, not the exact bed. I have some spots that are about 1 half acre of beds and the buck could come out of any one of the beds based on the exact wind of that particular day...
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:58 am

dan wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:Is it fair to say that experience with your terrain is a factor in determining the primary?

In a lot of flat terrains and thicker bedding areas the bedding area is what you should focus on, not the exact bed. I have some spots that are about 1 half acre of beds and the buck could come out of any one of the beds based on the exact wind of that particular day...

Excellent, that has been my findings so that is good to know... And half acre seems to be about the size of the bedding areas I have found... Good stuff Dan
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”