HOT DOE Scenario

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

HOT DOE Scenario

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:15 am

If one of your hunting buddies had a hot doe in his area for a couple hours. He had several bucks come through and finally a shooter, and he shot it.

The deer only went 40 yards and piled up. After getting his buck back to camp he was trying to talk another buddy into going to the same spot. Thinking the hot doe may bring another through.

What's your thoughts here? If you wasn't seeing any hot does or bucks cruising would you have went back to the same area with all the scent played down..or stick to your plan and hunt other spots?

I'm still 6 hours away from these guys and kind of on the fenceif I wwould be have went and set a stand in the same area since there was a hot doe there

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: HOT DOE Scenario

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:05 am

Might work... might not.
May-39

Unread postby May-39 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 am

I think 6 hours is a little long, we have done that a couple times..
Before cell phones one of us would trot over to someone else's blind and let them know it worked pretty good.
After cell phones we just text.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 am

I wasn't thinking of going there....im still at work 6 hoir drive away.

I was just thinking should one of the guys in camp jumped in his spot since there was a hot doe there?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:10 am

My opinion is yes... especially if doe bedding area to begin with... I have watched buck after buck follow a hot does path when they come by ya.... those days are magical!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:44 am

Just got a call from one of the other guys. Said the 7th buck came through this morning caught an arrow in the boiler!
Said he never seen a doe come through...just Seemed like the bigger bucks are starting to be on their feet.

Man its tough being at work with that going on.

dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:49 am

I'd say yes too. 4 years ago a hot doe was bedded in some standing corn and my buddy shot a nice 8 point, scented up the area pretty good and took pictures right where the deer lay, and the next morning my other buddy shot another mature 8 point from the same stand. Both were going into the corn with their nose to the ground. Every situation is different of course, but how many times a year do you get to sit a stand where a hot doe was hanging around? Heck if I was you, I'd give it a try and hope she comes back through even after the 6 hour trip. Good luck to you or your buddies- keep us posted if one of you try the spot out.

Actually the more I think of it, two years ago I was in a very similar situation as the one I mentioned before where my buddy shot his buck trailing a hot doe and the very next morning I hopped in his stand and I shoulder shot a nice buck(never recovered) after having a close call with an old 150 incher chasing the doe with another shooter buck. This time of year it can't hurt to try.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:52 am

backstraps wrote:Just got a call from one of the other guys. Said the 7th buck came through this morning caught an arrow in the boiler!
Said he never seen a doe come through...just Seemed like the bigger bucks are starting to be on their feet.

Sorry must have made my previous post while you were typing up yours. Glad it worked out! And I feel your pain on wanting to get out there! Want me to call in an "emergency" for you at work? :lol:
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:56 am

Yes, sit the spot.

I had what I guessed a hot doe come thru on a stand close to last light. She was acting squiirly and just had a hunch she was hot.

Hunted the same spot the next day dark to dark......no bucks came thru until about an hour before dark the next night following the same path she was on about 23 hours later. (He was a little too small to shoot, tempting 2.5 old 6 pointer) He was nose to the ground bird dogging that cold trail. I even had a different doe and fawn litterly less than 10 yards from me feeding and he paid no attention to them. Thru him a can call, he stopped looked at the current does and stayed on that track.

A different hot doe could have taken the same route during the night but this would still indicate a 10-20 hour old trail.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:26 am

Yes. Indeed. No doubt. If you don't want to sit there, call me. Tough to beat an early hot doe

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:39 am

dkoy85 wrote:
backstraps wrote:Just got a call from one of the other guys. Said the 7th buck came through this morning caught an arrow in the boiler!

Sorry must have made my previous post while you were typing up yours. Glad it worked out! And I feel your pain on wanting to get out there! Want me to call in an "emergency" for you at work? :lol:

I have plans in the works. I told the boss man I really want next couple days off. He said he didn't think he could swing it. I told him there was no way I could tell a fib and call in sick....so we needed to come to a happy conclusion that s end results me not be at work next two days!

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:18 pm

The hot doe scenario worked out.

I was fishing for yalls opinions, and glad I did. Just wanted to confirm my thoughts and advice I had given.

The buddy that ask me about going back in a set that had been "scented up" to hunt a hot doe.... I told him "heck yeah I would go back in there"

I told him she may or may not bring something back by. But her scent on the ground still yet may bring a cruiser by. I like the odds of KNOWING her scent being around, rather than going somewhere else and hoping for the best.

He had several more days to hunt, so I told him I would set it and see what happens. Couldn't hurt. He seen 7 bucks there and was tickled to death going back home this evening with a 133 inch 8pt. Oh by the way.... he never seen a doe!
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:30 pm

I what I read on the site somewhere; if you can shoot the hot doe, do it. Now she will be stationary and bucks will come to try to get her up.

Interesting idea, just waiting for the chance to give it a try.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:38 pm

SamPotter wrote:I what I read on the site somewhere; if you can shoot the hot doe, do it. Now she will be stationary and bucks will come to try to get her up.

Interesting idea, just waiting for the chance to give it a try.

I do volunteer work inside a Military plant with controlled draw hunts. Earn a buck type hunt.

I have had several hunters tell me they shot a doe with a buck chasing her. Once the hot doe crashed, the buck would try all he could to get her up.

Sad thing is, inside the facility, the hunter has to check in his doe prior to obtaining a buck tag....so many times I heard guys wanting to go ahead and fill their buck tags right after shooting a doe

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”