Point Deductions for Character Points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wibowhntr

Re: Point Deductions for Character Points

Unread postby wibowhntr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 am

I agree that every inch of antler that the buck grows should count. Why pentalize the buck for growing too much junk :)

buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:09 pm

all or nothing
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 pm

I think the antlers should be dunked in a tank of water and the total water displacement would be the score. Total antler growth and nothing subjective about it!!!
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:02 am

I agree, if we're only talking record book I like the displacement theory. Most bone grown is really the "biggest" rack.
BUT, if we are just sitting around the fire talking of past hunts or scouting missions than you really can't beat the B&C method. It really tells the story better.

As far as standards go - inches don't really matter to me. It's more of an experience thing for me. Too many things go into what pulls the trigger for me.... What I've done lately, where I'm at; who I'm with; age or body size; time of year; capacity left in freezer, yadda yadda yadda........
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:45 am

James wrote:I think the antlers should be dunked in a tank of water and the total water displacement would be the score. Total antler growth and nothing subjective about it!!!

Good idea in theory, but it is not practical when you really think about how to actually do it. You'd have to saw the antlers off below the pedical for it to really work, and who's gonna do that?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:52 am

I really don't care what they look like.....when I see the buck heading my way or his picture on the camera I know if he's a shooter to me.

If I had the option thick dark racks with stout tines. I really like James buck in his avaitor.

I may be different but scores mean didly to me.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:48 am

Actually displacement wouldn't be that hard. Just submerge the whole head or skull plate or whatever is attached to the rack. Then just submerge whats below the burr.
Do the math and voila. As long as all were done the same they would all get just get a little skull bone added but that would be nearly equal, older deer probably having the advantage.
I'm sure we could standardize something to keep it consistent.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:24 am

I don't care much about score. I'll take all the junk I can get.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:42 am

Arrowbender wrote:Actually displacement wouldn't be that hard. Just submerge the whole head or skull plate or whatever is attached to the rack. Then just submerge whats below the burr.
Do the math and voila. As long as all were done the same they would all get just get a little skull bone added but that would be nearly equal, older deer probably having the advantage.
I'm sure we could standardize something to keep it consistent.

Forget even about how you would acurately measure the water. How are you gonna make a man made cut in a skull plate, and call that fair? All skulls are different sizes and thickness. And you can't always submerge what's below the burr on odd non typical racks. The idea is good, but getting it done just dosen't seen practical.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Sounds pretty much like everyone here likes the extra stuff, me too 8-)

It is cool now talkin' about bucks, when someone describes a deer with an estimated score you can kinda picture it in your head. The old days it was an 8 pointer, six pointer ect. which worked also in its time. Guess the obsession with big bucks caught on.

Can't knock the scoring systems to much cause they started it and its theirs, so be it. Like everyone else though truely gross is where its at ;)
buck_junkie

Unread postby buck_junkie » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Replying about the displacement method, what is the unit of measurement; cubic inches? Cubic liters? Sounds funny, "Yeah fellas this monster scored 85 cubic inches, boy he sure is a dandy smashed the state record by 1.3 cubic inches." That system would be dead on accurate, doesn't seem like there's a possibility of scorer's error.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:31 pm

I totally agree.I have a lot of typical racks that I can hardly tell which one is which.They all just kinda blend together.Put a couple stickers on them and then you got yourself a whitetail.
ramblinman

Unread postby ramblinman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:21 am

I Gotta go with a big typical with Mass; but trust me, any buck with junk will not be passed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”