I'm Fired Up!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

voslos

I'm Fired Up!!!

Unread postby voslos » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:55 pm

I'm pretty new to the forum and have mostly been reading and reading and reading....you get the point. Bought my Lone Wolf climbing sticks last night and already silenced them. Headed to our 440 acres in NW Wisconsin tomorrow. We have three different marshes on our property and we but into 10,000 acres of paper land company that is only accessible by foot. Plenty of marshes over there as well.

Here is my dilemma. I part of 11 owners for our property. Our deer hardly ever see us up there. But, when we do go up everyone zips around on their four wheeler. Might as well turn on a siren for the deer to let them know we are here. Everyone has their box blinds and sits in them all season long. Drives me nuts. I plan on mountain biking to some marshes on the paper land this weekend with my sticks and ambush saddle.

Here is what has me fired up. The cabin I grew up hunting in is about 20 minutes away. I was looking at some old spots we hunted when I realized there is a ton of public hunting land near there. I'm talking 10 miles by 10 miles of nasty marshes with little hunting pressure. The cool thing about this is it brought back some pretty good memories of me cutting my team with my dad some 26 plus years ago. I think it would be cool to go back and hunt this place in memory of my dad.

There are so many points and different marshes that I'm fired up to hunt this. After spending a couple weeks reading on the website there couldn't be a better find of hunting land for the Beast Style for me!!! Here is my question (sorry for dragging this out). I plan on hunting this in gun season for a day or two or more. It will only be myself. I will only be able to scout based on topos and overhead photos. There are so many spots I plan on still hunting it. Besides the basics of wind and stealth does anyone has any other advice on gun hunting a spot like this on my own? I'm not worried about burning out this spots because there are literally hundreds of potential buck bedding areas. Leaving early with no cell reception. looking forward to hearing everyone's advice.

backstraps

Re: I'm Fired Up!!!

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:52 pm

I've never hunted marshes. Sounds like you have an area with really good potential. With that much land and little pressure...I'd be tempted to cyber scout the land and mark up a dozen or so places that looks interesting. I would probably sit and hunt for a few hours and then still hunt/scout around.

Gather as much current Intel for next year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:22 am

Welcome to the Beast! Enjoy!
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 am

I am not a marsh guy, but when going blind hill country I dissect maps down to potential bedding points and such, and write down, or name them based on what wind will work for that set up. When I pull up my my and know the prevailing wind I try to come up with the best possible spot based on that wind.

I use my gps but also a friend and I use his printed topo map and overlay it with wax paper. We write down the winds that would work for each on the wax paper. Works really well, and can really help you eliminate spots based on whims.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:00 am

Stick to the edges and go very slow in the marsh. The deer will literately allow you to come within feet of them in the cattails. When still hunting I just hop from deer trail to deer trail in the cats. A lot of time the beds will be right off the trails. Don't be afraid to stop for an hour or so when you hit hot sign. The worst thing you can do is be in a hurry. Bucks really like cattails when they are with a does and they want to be somewhere where no other deer will bother them. Did I mention anything about going slow?....go slow;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”