Your thoughts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Your thoughts?

Unread postby admiral04 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Last year on his way to work my dad kept seeing a big non-typical buck crossing the road in The area pictured. Well, he just saw him again the other day and he now has a big droptyne etc. so next wk while im off I figured i would give it a shot. Ive never set foot on this property before so I was looking for everyones thoughts on where they would setup for rut and why and hope to get him funneling through. Ill be focusing on the area to the east of route 8. Thnx guys! Image Image

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

admiral04

Re: Your thoughts?

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:55 am

ttt
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 am

There's an awful lot of that road in the picture. Hard to say where to set up without knowing closer to exact location he's been spotted in. Can you mark where he was sighted?
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:57 am

I believe in the area where its says "smiley hill road".

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:15 pm

If that's all you know I'd come up the draw and setup on the first trail on the flat, I wouldn't go further without knowing the story this time of year. Then you can adjust. I'd want a S, SW or E wind.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:13 pm

Buckfever wrote:If that's all you know I'd come up the draw and setup on the first trail on the flat, I wouldn't go further without knowing the story this time of year. Then you can adjust. I'd want a S, SW or E wind.

Unfortunately thats all i know except i would have to guess hes bedding there somewhere as hes usually been seen crossi g between 7-8 am

Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:05 pm

admiral04 wrote:
Buckfever wrote:If that's all you know I'd come up the draw and setup on the first trail on the flat, I wouldn't go further without knowing the story this time of year. Then you can adjust. I'd want a S, SW or E wind.

Unfortunately thats all i know except i would have to guess hes bedding there somewhere as hes usually been seen crossi g between 7-8 am

Take a shot at it, it would be a good observation point and if nothing, scout it out. So you bump him, scout it out good, figure the bedding the staging how he's dumping down, is there staging lower, bring stuff to trim and make your sets. Sometimes it's worth making the intrusion and killing a day to make the hunt.
admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 am

Buckfever wrote:
admiral04 wrote:

Take a shot at it, it would be a good observation point and if nothing, scout it out. So you bump him, scout it out good, figure the bedding the staging how he's dumping down, is there staging lower, bring stuff to trim and make your sets. Sometimes it's worth making the intrusion and killing a day to make the hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image ill give it a shot, thnx!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:09 am

Drive/walk up and down the road till you see a big set of tracks. Then back track them and set up where you think you need to. It might take some time, but nobody said deer hunting was easy....well maybe some of your tv show celebs might think its easy:)

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:07 pm

4 funnels that head from river to crops,digging the one running NW thru the word "hill".Cuts those fields and it doubles up before necking down to the single run to the NW. Plenty of options there. Can you hunt the river bottom? You never mentioned which direction he was heading when he crossed in the morning. Also like the big run going thru the "8".Goodluck man,looks like a fun area to attack this time of year.

admiral04

Unread postby admiral04 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:59 pm

wibow wrote:4 funnels that head from river to crops,digging the one running NW thru the word "hill".Cuts those fields and it doubles up before necking down to the single run to the NW. Plenty of options there. Can you hunt the river bottom? You never mentioned which direction he was heading when he crossed in the morning. Also like the big run going thru the "8".Goodluck man,looks like a fun area to attack this time of year.

Could you pinpoint those 4 funnels a little better so I can make sure im reading the land right? He has been seen Heading both directions when crossing the road. Thnx for the help. Hunting there all day tomorrow.

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:12 pm

The 4funnels running from the river (NW) to the ag crops in the SE. He is probably using at least a couple of them to go from bed to food/water. Said your Dad seen him crossing near where the pic says Smiley hill rd. the funnel that crosses the the word "hill" and the one that crosses the "8"
look interesting. Without knowing his bedding it's a chess match on where along those funnels you are going to catch him. This time of year in cruising for does he's bound to be running those downwind of the doe bedding. There's a bunch of potential stand options. Access is dictated by the wind you get that day. Gradually work your way towards those fields in the SE with a few sits and go from there. You might get lucky setting near the road since he likes to cross in shooting light as you mentioned. If you spend some time in there you will come across signs of his travels. Goodluck,wish I had time to mark up a map but it's late and hunting all day tomorrow myself. Get in there and have at it bud!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”