The past 36 hours-rut activity, south west Wi

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

The past 36 hours-rut activity, south west Wi

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:10 pm

WOW! I have had an amazing past day and a half. Yesterday I saw a single doe around 10 AM, and then didnt see anything until around 2 PM. Then I had a group of 4 1.5 year olds come through in a group running and grunting. Shortly after I saw a shooter in the brush by where the 4 were a few minutes earlier. About 15 minutes after that a nice buck comes trotting past at 40 yards, couldn't get a decent shot. About 15 minutes after that a VERY nice buck comes in and as we all know I wounded that one.

I left the woods yesterday around 330 so as to not push the wounded buck.

This morning I was driving in with gray light and saw a shooter out in the hay field , I made a mental note of where he went into the woods. As I went in to start tracking my buck, a broken off half rack 2.5 year old comes in to 10 yards on the ground, could have probably had a shot had I wanted him.

I searched for the deer till around 130 or 2 before admitting defeat, and then I went and sat by where I saw the nice buck enter the woods this morning, in the same tree I shot my bow buck out of last year. It is on the edge of a picked corn field, for some reason this spot sees a lot of daylight rut movement, otherwise I would never sit it.

Around 5 I hear grunting, but not the normal sound, this one sounded like a man trying to belch his name or letters, hard to describe. He just kept grunting but not coming in, so I grunted and did a few estrous doe bleats on the can call. While I was waiting I saw a decent buck run out across the field a couple hundred yards away, he had places to be as he was in a big hurry. Then around 5:30 I see the same buck I saw this morning out in the cut corn field, making his way towards me but slowly. I grunted and he picked up his pace but cut off into the woods short of getting to me.

The grunting angered the buck behind me whom I could hear SLOWLY tiptoeing in but not exposing himself in the open. He would take a step or two and stop and wait 5 minutes, he had to be a mature buck. Finally at the end of shooting light he came within 15 yards, he made sure he stayed hidden behind a cedar tree beside me, but I could see his shape. He stood there about 5 minutes and took 3 bounds back where he came from, no snort, just 3 bounds. I slowly heard him tip toe back out of there. I never saw the rack but he was black as tar and had a heck of a big body, had to be a mature buck.

I got down and left and then on the way home I saw what was probably a 3.5 run out with a doe in front of my truck, he did not want to get off her trail, luckily I didn't hit him.

This has been an amazing past day and a half, I just know I am very close to putting a tag on a nice one. I would say the pre-rut is in full swing and the big boys should start up real good in the next day or two. Already a ton of daylight movement on the 3.5's which is what I am hoping for this year or better.

lynchpin

Re: The past 36 hours-rut activity, south west Wi

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a great hunt.... Can't wait until Friday !

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
go DEEP or go HOME
BuckTrack81

Unread postby BuckTrack81 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Sounds exciting, good luck brad ... You'll get a dandy with that much activity going on.....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Just a matter of time. Get back in the saddle put one down. 8-)

whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Wow...that fires me up! Can't wait til this weekend!!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Great action Brad!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for sharing the experience.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:58 pm

That is at least twice as many bucks as I have seen all season so far. lol.

I have a feeling the Killzone is about to see more activity soon.

Good luck!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:07 pm

Sounds like you have a hot doe or two in your vicinity... I would hunt that area hard the next few days!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 pm

Bucky wrote:Sounds like you have a hot doe or two in your vicinity... I would hunt that area hard the next few days!

I agree!! Time to get some bone on the ground Brad!! :music-rockon:

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:03 am

Just thought I would share something with you guys.....

I was uptown getting some food last night, and the owner of the tavern was there..... Now, he is one of the local places you can register your deer. So I asked him if there is a certain date that sticks out in his mind, that he gets alot of nice bucks in each year...... He said absolutely, Nov 5th seems to always bring in alot of big bucks to his place.... He did mention the whole first week of November is obviously good, but Nov 5th really sticks out to him.....

Just a thought, not sure if it means anything or not, but he registers alot of deer each year at his tavern, so just a little something to ponder on, make sure you are in the woods Nov 5th. ;)
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:38 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Just thought I would share something with you guys.....

I was uptown getting some food last night, and the owner of the tavern was there..... Now, he is one of the local places you can register your deer. So I asked him if there is a certain date that sticks out in his mind, that he gets alot of nice bucks in each year...... He said absolutely, Nov 5th seems to always bring in alot of big bucks to his place.... He did mention the whole first week of November is obviously good, but Nov 5th really sticks out to him.....

Just a thought, not sure if it means anything or not, but he registers alot of deer each year at his tavern, so just a little something to ponder on, make sure you are in the woods Nov 5th. ;)

Funny you should say Nov.5th. The landowner where I used to hunt in SW WI said historically Nov. 5th was peak breeding and the best day to be in the woods!!

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks for the update Brad, its is going to be absolutely fantastic when you put one down !
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:23 am

Awesome hunt!

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Brad, or anyone else in sw wisconsin....... seeing much action? I hunted from 9 this morning until dark, & only sawone doe right before dark... very slow for me. I'm wondering if I should try first light tomorrow, but in years past, it seems like that 10:00 to 2:00 time during this week has been great action, & maybe it will later this week... what are the rest of you guys seeing?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”