How does rain affect movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Widerack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.leger.7

How does rain affect movement

Unread postby Widerack » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:43 am

Say it rains most of the night. What does a buck do? Does he stay put in his bed for hours after the rain quits? Does he get up shortly after the rain quits? Does he run his normal night routine whether it’s raining or not?

Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Re: How does rain affect movement

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:47 am

Hard to really say on this one. There is alot of things he can do. Different bucks will do different things. I think the time of the year plays a roll too. Anytime from here till Dec rain or shine you should be out there!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:53 am

Based on experience, poor movement during heavy rain/downpour; no impact with a light rain.

In general, rain impacts hunter movement to a greater degree than deer movement. I enjoy hunting in a light rain. Quiet approach, ground scent dilution, less pressure from other hunters, and maybe a good buck looking to refresh his scrape.
Widerack
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eric.leger.7

Unread postby Widerack » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:01 am

Guys I hunt in the rain a lot. I wasn’t real clear with the original question. I have a buck targeted and am planning on trying to get him Friday morning. I need a N or NW wind. Well Thursday night a front is supposed to pass with 100% rain. I have no idea how long or hard it will rain Thursday night. I was wondering how much the rain will alter this buck? I am counting on him not being there at like 3 in the morning but if its raining what will he do? Will he stay bedded or will he do his normal routine regardless of the rain?
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:07 am

If its raining hard from that evening on he may stay bedded till it lightens up. This can help you because he may come back to bed later.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:14 am

Plan on the normal routine. This time of year, he may stay in a staging bed a little later if it is raining good at first light.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”