Do You Think Bucks Remember?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Do You Think Bucks Remember?

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:Not sure on the "remembering" thing, but I have noted that certain big bucks show up in the same beds, and the same areas about the same time year after year.

Do you think that has more to do with the bucks knowing where the doe bedding areas are and wanting to be close by? The rest of the year they bed secluded away from most other deer but when the time is right and estrus scent is in the air it makes sense they would position themselves to better keep tabs on the does.

Could be... But, I see them show up in the same areas late season, and early season too... Don't really know what to make of why, but its worth knowing that they do.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:47 am

dan wrote:Any body remember the big 10 point I shot in Rome marsh 2 years ago? I new that he always lived on private land until the rut and then despite less does on my side of the road he always bedded in a certain bed at the start of the rut and the same circuit. I just waited till his rub line opened back up and set up on the bed and killed him...

Awesome example.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:04 pm

Great responses and examples everyone. I once read that if you see a big buck in a certain area, write it down and especially the date as he will likely be in that area again the following year. Not necessarily the exact hour or day, but the same time frame the next year. Thanks for the replies and insight...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Wow...Dan you said Rome...brings back memories man. I lived in Sullivan until I was 14 and I rode my bike along that marsh all the time! Always thought it looked like good deer habitat.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:Not sure on the "remembering" thing, but I have noted that certain big bucks show up in the same beds, and the same areas about the same time year after year.

Do you think that has more to do with the bucks knowing where the doe bedding areas are and wanting to be close by? The rest of the year they bed secluded away from most other deer but when the time is right and estrus scent is in the air it makes sense they would position themselves to better keep tabs on the does.

There's an interesting sub topic...rut bedding versus a buck's normal hangouts...not all bucks would do this but some serious food for thought right there. Semi permanent rut beds as opposed to just one of the beds that a buck uses during the year. Some bucks never having these,just his sanctuaries. Others choosing to bed on the fly during breeding when needed. Hmmmmm...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”