Cold Weather Gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigwoodsmn

Re: Cold Weather Gear

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:03 am

Dewey wrote:Don't forget the coveralls too. Another great deal! 8-)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain- ... t105692580

That is a great deal -

addisonlee

Unread postby addisonlee » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:33 am

Hand warmers, toe warmers, body warmers, neck gator and wool socks are a must! :D
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:18 am

Thanks Dewey - I went with the coveralls - thanks for the link. I stay pretty warm usually but it was like 6F with 20MPH NW sustained wind Fri/Sat... little sun. Deer were moving Saturday - it was "less cold" than Fri, but not really. I saw a good buck Saturday at 12:30PM - not big enough to burn my wife's buck tag - but another reason I like to stay in the woods in November.
Buckfever
500 Club

Unread postby Buckfever » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Great price I think I paid $30 more than that. You need to get a 40L duffle bag with backpack straps for transport otherwise it's bulky.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:56 am

Buckfever wrote:

Great price I think I paid $30 more than that. You need to get a 40L duffle bag with backpack straps for transport otherwise it's bulky.

Thanks for the info about the bag... My mom is getting a set of these for my dad for Christmas too now. My wife is going to check mine out to see if she likes them. Dewey should get a commission check from Cabelas!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:39 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
Buckfever wrote:

Thanks for the info about the bag... My mom is getting a set of these for my dad for Christmas too now. My wife is going to check mine out to see if she likes them. Dewey should get a commission check from Cabelas!

Sounds good to me! ;)

Glad I could help. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:26 am

Dewey wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:
Buckfever wrote:

Sounds good to me! ;)

Glad I could help. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

I picked up a pair of the Cabela's Extreme Stand Hunter Coveralls when they had the 20% off. Thank you for the members who posted about both the sale on that product and the 20% and free shipping. It turned out to be quite a good deal at 175$ Shipped. I have a question for those who have worn these Cabela's products and have tried the Warmbag or IWOM or HBS. Can I expect roughly the same kind of heat retention on the stand with the Coverall? Is it worth investing a little more for colder days?

Thanks. Daniel.
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:14 am

rutnbuck wrote:Like Bucky said get your wallet out$$$$ King of the Mountain is all I can say. Save up if you have to but quit buying outfits every other year or so and always looking for the next best thing. Look at the clothes your spending hundreds on that is made in China and you will constantly be looking for something else. Watch the TV shows and see what you see, it's not KOM, why not? King doesn't advertise and doesn't need to, his product will sell itself. I payed upfront and I promise you that I'm money ahead in the long run. Plus it gets better with age and by the way its Toasty!!! I could go on and on about the clothing out on the shelves...the price and where its made, we need to wake up people. Read up on them and make the decision for yourself, its an investment not just a purchase. You want cold weather gear, its out there. It will be WOOL!!!!

Love discovering Made in USA brands like this. I'll definitely check them out. Always on the lookout for domestically-made high-quality hunting gear. Thanks!!

Link to their shop:
http://shop.kingofthemountain.com/
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:04 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
I picked up a pair of the Cabela's Extreme Stand Hunter Coveralls when they had the 20% off. Thank you for the members who posted about both the sale on that product and the 20% and free shipping. It turned out to be quite a good deal at 175$ Shipped. I have a question for those who have worn these Cabela's products and have tried the Warmbag or IWOM or HBS. Can I expect roughly the same kind of heat retention on the stand with the Coverall? Is it worth investing a little more for colder days?

Thanks. Daniel.

My dad and I both got our suits also. He was hunting over by "The Fort" last week -- and like you mentioned... it was "a little" chilly out there. He didn't get a chance to try out his Extreme Stand Hunter coveralls because we were exchanging sizes.

Yesterday my Arctic Shield Boot Insulators arrived. There are times I set up impromptu blinds to sit for a few hours when I'm ground hunting and wish I had something extra for my feet. They are very light. http://www.cabelas.com/product/ArcticShield-reg-Boot-Insulators/722113.uts
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:38 pm

I also picked up arctic shield boot covers. They helped quite a bit, but I they haven't been a total game changer for me. So far, the best results I've had with them was when I removed the inserts from my boots and put them directly in the covers with hand warmers. That way, it extended my sitting time from 1.5 hrs with plain boots to about 3.5 hours until I couldn't take it anymore. Also, my booties were on an inch foam pad from the dollar store.

If you are putting winter boots in arctic shield boot covers, make sure you order at least one size larger than they recommend. For example, I wore a large sized arctic shield boot cover (recommended for sizes 9-11) over a size 9 Baffin winter boot. It fit fine, but was a little snug and there is no way a size 11 in the same boot would have fit. Being larger would also allow you to put hand warmers more comfortably.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Zap wrote:I have used my cabelas stand hunter bibs for very cold in the past.
Purchased the parka this past Sunday.

Both are on sale for 1/2 price.
They are discontinuing this model bibs and parka, not fancy enough.........just downright warm.

That was the opinion of the dept head anyway.
I know this stuff is as warm as it gets from my experience with the bibs.
Parka come with a hand muff, a place to store it and a place to clip it on.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... T.tsrc=AFF

Bucky wrote:I wear those same bibs... wind liner and super warm! At $128 that is a steal IMO. I paid full price and I'm still happy with them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I don't think I even looked at this thread until now, but I wish I had. I need some new bibs.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:
Zap wrote:I have used my cabelas stand hunter bibs for very cold in the past.
Purchased the parka this past Sunday.

Both are on sale for 1/2 price.
They are discontinuing this model bibs and parka, not fancy enough.........just downright warm.

That was the opinion of the dept head anyway.
I know this stuff is as warm as it gets from my experience with the bibs.
Parka come with a hand muff, a place to store it and a place to clip it on.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... T.tsrc=AFF

Bucky wrote:I wear those same bibs... wind liner and super warm! At $128 that is a steal IMO. I paid full price and I'm still happy with them.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I don't think I even looked at this thread until now, but I wish I had. I need some new bibs.

Bibs, parka and coveralls are back on sale for about 50% off, plus you can get an extra 20$ off with their after Christmas promo.

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:27 am

I have the best luck with wool. Socks, base layer, outer layer, the more wool the better. It's also not too bulky and doesn't hinder my ability to maneuver.
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am

Hotmocs has a great sale on a ton of their products right now- their boot covers are 9.99$ as well as a bunch of their fleece balaclavas. All their gear are designed to take hand warmers.

The sale is about 60 to 75% off on all those items. 6.99$ for 24 packs of hand warmers.

Here is the sale.

http://www.hotmocs.com/mossy-oak.html?p=1

I haven't tried any of their products but remember a thread on AT where the boot covers were comparable to arcticshield's cover, especially when paired with hand warmers. At 10$, it's definitely worth a try for me.

Plus free shipping on orders over 40$.

rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks for the link to the hotmocs site. Pretty interesting stuff. As I make more and more cold weather gear I am always looking for good designs to steal. :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”