Cold Weather Gear

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NCmedic

Cold Weather Gear

Unread postby NCmedic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:11 pm

Hey everyone, just wanted to see what you guys use to keep warm in the colder parts of the season. Temperatures are starting to drop and I'm already starting to break out my coveralls and layer up with clothing.

The other day I had on jeans, sweatpants and base layer pants. A long sleeve shirt base layer, two additional long sleeve shirts, a hoodie and my coverall over all of that. I was still cold. Not too bad but enough to be a little uncomfortable and not want to sit in the stand any longer than I had to.

I'm wanting to look for higher quality cold weather gear that wouldn't require me to wear my entire wardrobe to be "comfortable enough" lol. Especially you northern guys, it gets a lot colder up there than in NC! ;)

Crazinamatese

Re: Cold Weather Gear

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:56 pm

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 pm

and a fleece neck gater is a must.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Merino Wool base layers, Fleece or Wool mid layer, and then a windproof outer layer. NO cotton! You need layers of material that wick away any moisture (sweat) you might have. So merino wool, polypropelene, etc. The windproof outer layer is key.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:15 pm

Merrino wool base layers/socks, fleece mid layer with a hood, wool outer, blacava with mouth and nose covered on super.cold days. Merrino wool beats anything else out there... it is warm, wicks moisture the best of anything I have tried, and does not retain "stink" like synthetics. I have spent a couple thousand on hunting clothes... wool is the best

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:23 pm

DaHunter also made excellent point... my outter wool.layer has wind block built into the jacket and pants. I use Cabelas Outfitter Wooltimate. Grey Wolf Woolens is also really nice stuff... and if you have unlimited $$$ to spend King of the Mountain wool

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:29 pm

If I'm concerned about getting cold, I'm packing most of my clothes in; especially if I'm managing a long hike into the woods. I'll generally walk in and set up with just a heavy weight long sleeve T. Once I'm set up, I strip off the T, use the dry side to wipe down my body, and place the wet T in a sealed ziploc bag at the base of the tree next to my bungees, straps, etc. Merino wool base, polar weight fleece (sometimes X2), and my predator fleece camo.

Once the temperature drops below 10 degrees F continuous its time to break out the heater body suit.
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Merino wool? Never heard of it! I will definitely look into that. Thanks everyone. No joke about that King of the Mountain clothing Bucky! Haha.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm

Very good advice above. Sounds like you are wearing regular clothing to attempt to stay warm...Invest in some good base layer underwear and a pullover/sweater with windshear. Check out some good pieces of clothing that will last you 10-15 seasons. I used to get tired of freezing my fingers off in MN and cured that by investing in Northern Outfitters arctic mittens. Super large and you're able to wear an insulated glove inside the mitten. No more cold fingers for me... One tip I'll share is buy insulated gloves 1 size larger that what you use. Allows for more air inside and you can tuck your fingers in your palm to warm them up.. Nothing ruins a hunt quicker than being cold...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Guys- get a heater body suit and be done buying a bunch of cold weather gear. You will not be disappointed. Add up what you spend on cold weather gear, including boots and then try to tell me that the hbs is too expensive. I bet you come out cheaper with the hbs.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
NCmedic

Unread postby NCmedic » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:30 pm

how does the heater body suit work?
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:23 pm

It's basically a sleeping bag with legs cut into it. You roll it and unroll it like a sleeping bag. Slip into it while in the stand. It works on the same concept as a mitten. Mittens are warmer than gloves because of body heat. The hbs make you warmer be ause you body heat is trapped insie of the suit. It unzips quickly and quietly for you as a deer approaches and has shoulder straps that keep the suit on you when you unzip it. Check it out on the web site.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
obrion

Unread postby obrion » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 pm

I use under armor base layer stuff. I got it on sale for 50% off and so far I think it's pretty good. And when the weather gets really cold i use my arctic shield bibs and 3in1 jacket. Just don't put it on until you get your stand hung or you will be sweaty.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:57 am

Anyone tried these for you boots?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/ArcticSh ... 722113.uts

If there is one thing that gets me off stand its cold feet. I bought new rubber grubs too that are supposed to be for cold weather. If these boot covers work ill get em!
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 am

Like Bucky said get your wallet out$$$$ King of the Mountain is all I can say. Save up if you have to but quit buying outfits every other year or so and always looking for the next best thing. Look at the clothes your spending hundreds on that is made in China and you will constantly be looking for something else. Watch the TV shows and see what you see, it's not KOM, why not? King doesn't advertise and doesn't need to, his product will sell itself. I payed upfront and I promise you that I'm money ahead in the long run. Plus it gets better with age and by the way its Toasty!!! I could go on and on about the clothing out on the shelves...the price and where its made, we need to wake up people. Read up on them and make the decision for yourself, its an investment not just a purchase. You want cold weather gear, its out there. It will be WOOL!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”