Velvet ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Velvet ?

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:14 am

First off anyone see any signs of velvet starting to come off? If not it will soon happen, so I wonder how long it will be before a dominate buck will push other bucks out of his area? Is it after shedding, before shedding or when is it? I think there will be alot of changes going on in my area real soon. Tell me your what know about this time of the year. I am real interested to hear what happens between whitetails this time of year.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Velvet ?

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:07 am

The majority of velvet shedding occurs the 1st week of September although some will shed earlier and some a little later. I base that on personal observations. Bucks will start to split up about that same time period although I have seen some buck groups hang together till mid September, sometimes even longer. I can recall one group of bucks that I set a client up on who got the buck. I watched the group enter the fields from nearby bedding every evening and set him up opening day close to the bedding where the movement was still in daylight. I was able to predict accurately to the guy it would be the second buck from the front. I had another time in the public marsh where I was shining a group of monster bucks two of which I am sure would make B&C and had the whole group of 7 monsters come by opening afternoon but thru the thick cover no shot was offered.
However, most bucks will be separated by opening day.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:21 am

Not much more to add to Dans response.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Dan is right on ............ I've never seen a buck shed velvet this early in Wi. and I have seen some smaller bucks with velvet opening weekend.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:04 am

in my area in vernon, i have never had a hard antler pic before sept 3rd, and never had a velvet buck after sept. 5th. so its usually happens in those couple days in my area. at least the ones i have photos of.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:16 am

dan wrote:The majority of velvet shedding occurs the 1st week of September although some will shed earlier and some a little later. I base that on personal observations. Bucks will start to split up about that same time period although I have seen some buck groups hang together till mid September, sometimes even longer. I can recall one group of bucks that I set a client up on who got the buck. I watched the group enter the fields from nearby bedding every evening and set him up opening day close to the bedding where the movement was still in daylight. I was able to predict accurately to the guy it would be the second buck from the front. I had another time in the public marsh where I was shining a group of monster bucks two of which I am sure would make B&C and had the whole group of 7 monsters come by opening afternoon but thru the thick cover no shot was offered.
However, most bucks will be separated by opening day.

dan ive seen bucks still togehter after opening day shinng at night :? why is this? were they stil bedded together or did they meet up together? it looked as they enered the field as a pair and ran off as a pair :?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:55 am

Not to hijack this thread but I have also seen what appeared to be a bachelor group of bucks in mid-oct. Both times the bucks appeared to be traveling together, both times crossing a road, once at night and once in broad daylight. The daylight encounter was pretty fun, 5 mature bucks jumped out in front of us and proceeded to run down the road for a 100 yards or so, my buddie was driving and we stayed within 20 yards of them the whole time pretty much screaming like little girls.

Anyway I think the summer bachelor groups split up right when Dan said but I think some time around mid Oct they might form up again for a short time. It might be a rare event or maybe it happens everywhere, not sure, but I think they kind of try to establish some kind of pecking order one last time before the rut starts to ramp up.
JRM6868
The Terminator

Unread postby JRM6868 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:34 pm

In Ohio typically I see them break up around the second week of October and they loose their velvet about labor day weekend week.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Imagetake a look at this pics its sep,11 and this small buck has just recently lost its velvet as the pic show its still hanging on the rackit ranges from buck to buck, i have other pics of a good nine out of velvet and another with him still in velvet
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:10 pm

I have seen some buck groups hang together till mid September, sometimes even longer

I have seen the scenario of a 1.5yr old leading the way and a 2.5yr old behind him about 20yds during early October. I think the difference is Dan is used to see Mature deer, which they might not tolerate other deer as long. Once the velvet drops, they are entirely different animals.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”