Bump and dump tactics

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Bump and dump tactics

Unread postby bowmike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:27 am

So the backyard buck is haunting me. I know where he is bedded and thought I would set up on him for Saturday. Monday has the same wind as last week however and should put him in that bed for sure.

If I were to set up close to his bed on Monday morning, do you think that if I bump him he will return to his bed in the afternoon. What time do you typically see the buck leaving his bed in the am? Returning in the PM? Last week he was out of his bed around 9:30. I thought about trying to play the wind and sneak in on him, but he will most definetly hear me approaching. I am weighing out the possible ways to try and get this deer.

Plan B is to bump him from his bed on purpose on Sunday evening, and hope to get him returning on Monday morning.

Plan C is to set up about 80-100 yards away with the wind in my favor and try to call him in to me.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Bump and dump tactics

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:54 am

Will rain coming in let you sneak without disturbing him? One spot is on my list because of silent approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:36 am

I can't really answer your question without looking at the situation... But, I would if at all possible try an evening hunt 1st catching him leaving his bed and without calling unless you need to.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:38 am

here is the gps screen shot.

the buck is actually on an abandon tram road that runs where the little depression is in the topo. He is bedding facing the top of the tram. He has a sapling thicket to right up a hill about 10-15 yards away. behind him is a section of bamboo/elephant ears. To his left is a steep drop off to a bench. He cant see down this but can hear danger below.

I found he has a trail coming from the sapling thicket about 50 yards up from the bed, he has a trail that leads out through the elephant ears, and a trail that comes right from the bed down to the bench below.

to the right of this trail leads out to a large field, and just before the field is a stand of pines where I always jump doe.

To the left is a thicker brushier area that has a steep cut to his right.

I just cant decide if I should set up on this bench within 20 yards of his escape trail. I do not know what way he goes from there. I am too chicken to try and set up directly above his bed or on his bed. I am hearing of more and more bucks chasing and am fearing that after this weekend setting up directly on his bed will be a bad move. Any help is appreciated.
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:45 am

attackone

Unread postby attackone » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:22 am

are u sure u didnt bump him out of the bed last weekend when u found it...with all of the scent in there, there might be chance that he isnt even using it now
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:53 pm

bowmike wrote:What time do you typically see the buck leaving his bed in the am? Returning in the PM?

Ive never seen that.

Typically, bucks return to bed in the AM, right at daylight to an hour or so before. And leave the bed in the PM, 45 minutes before dark to an hour or so after.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:13 pm

This can be a tough time of the year to hunt beds because their movements throughout the day are not as predictable as they were before the rut/predict started.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”