Swirling Winds- what do you do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

uzi

Swirling Winds- what do you do?

Unread postby uzi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:20 am

I'm assuming we have all had this happen to us. You get in your set to find the winds is literally changing direction every minute. I had this happen to me this morning as I prepared to be in the stand all day. The wind was out of the NE and I had some doe busted me 80yds away (they were coming in from the north to give you an idea how bad the wind was swirling around) I opted to get out at 9am so I didn't have scent blowing all over the ridge I was hunting. Just curious on what you guys do?

Jay

Re: Swirling Winds- what do you do?

Unread postby Jay » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:30 am

If you are on a ridge you might need to be a little higher in the tree.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 am

Jay wrote:If you are on a ridge you might need to be a little higher in the tree.

Or a little higher on the ridge.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
uzi

Unread postby uzi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:47 am

I should've been a little more clear in my original post. I am 20+ ft in the tree and right at the point where ridge starts to drop off. Just wondering if other guys get out or hang tight when the wind swirls continually.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:15 pm

uzi wrote:I should've been a little more clear in my original post. I am 20+ ft in the tree and right at the point where ridge starts to drop off. Just wondering if other guys get out or hang tight when the wind swirls continually.

If the wind isn't right I always abort.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:18 pm

uzi wrote:I should've been a little more clear in my original post. I am 20+ ft in the tree and right at the point where ridge starts to drop off. Just wondering if other guys get out or hang tight when the wind swirls continually.

Swirling winds or changing winds? My all day sit today changed from south/north several times. This was the forecast also. Frustrating. I stuck it out and came up empty handed.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:49 pm

after decades of useing milkweed seed you get pretty good at knowing where to hang your stand to avoid the swirl... Its usually because of terrain shape...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”