Conserving your energy and killing a good buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Conserving your energy and killing a good buck?

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:12 am

I got to thinking about this last night. Got a call from a friend he killed a buck last night. He has hunted every morning and every evening since season started. He mostly hunts one or 2 stands day in and day out. He hunts rut mode the entire time. He usually kills a buck mostly 1.5 year olds.

I can think of a few things he could change up on, if he wanted to kill a good one. He is tighter than drum, wouldn't pay a nickle, to see Satan play Johnny for a fiddle made of gold. Keep this in mind as it has cost him some great hunting ground; Not taking care of the land owner.

My thoughts, he could stay home and watch football early season if he is going to hunt rut style the entire season. He could have more stands. He could hunt during the best time of the rut instead of doe hunting during the rut because he burned his tag early on a scrub buck.

What do you do to keep yourself going for the long grind of the season. We all know hunter burn out can cause you to kill a buck you really don't want (or we should know this). What are your tips for staying in the stand and keeping that energy going. I think this applies to the hard core Big Buck Hunters more than the casual deer hunter. Some guys have more drive than others do also.

My tip to get started; don't put in all day sits until the time is right. By this I mean if bucks aren't on their feet during daylight hrs there is no reason to sit all day. Save that energy for when the bucks are on their feet during day light hrs.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Re: Conserving your energy and killing a good buck?

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 am

Great post Stanely!

I also think that timming is everything too. By not pressuring your deer especially the does you can have them around moving naturaly for the upcoming rut. Have fun even though at times I get angry weather its fighting my bow rope, hanging my lone wolf, or not seeing big bucks all the time lol
bowmike
500 Club

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:34 am

I was your budy until this year. I now know that being on my own one deer will last me a year for meat. I grind most of it to ham burger, and keep the straps, and maybe a roast.

Knowing how much meat I need has really helped me hold out this year. I decided I would try my best to get a decent doe in the freezer to cover my meat for the year. I took her on the 19th with my muzzleloader. I had my bow with me just incase but I set up to hunt for a doe and get my meat.

Your buddy can use his early season to get the meat he needs for his freezer. This is my gameplan from now on. Yes I will try to be in decent buck areas but am planning on not hunting them hard for doe.

I also started hunting more mobile, and hunting more blind sets. The anticipation of not know what will come by adds excitement to every hunt, and keeps me from getting burned out on a single spot and not seeing anything. I am constantly looking over topos of the areas I hunt, and setting up these spots a few days in advance.

By taking it to this type of level you can hunt fresh set ups,and keep your "go to stands" fresh. I am now going to hold out for a bigger buck. Passing smaller deer also gives you time to sit back and enjoy the hunt. My mindset now is why shoot a small buck if I have my meat to get me through the year, why not hold out for a bigger one.
NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:34 am

Years ago, I quit hunting early morning outside of the pre-rut/Rut. It saves some time and energy for the better days of the year.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:37 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Years ago, I quit hunting early morning outside of the pre-rut/Rut. It saves some time and energy for the better days of the year.

X2... I hunted my first two mornings of the season this past wknd.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:40 am

Yep good post Stanley, I kind of use to hunt like you guy and had similar results. Now I try and focus on the times and places I can kill a good buck. For me that is right away the first week or two of bow opener and then when the lull kicks in through the rut. Early season hasn't been great to me but I've had some encounters and know it is a good time to pick one up. After that I take a bit of a break in early Oct and bring the kids hunting (deer, grouse, duck) and do some extra scouting up north. I get a little refreshed and I am ready to hit it again. I also know that some of my best spots don't seem to produce until the leaves are down and the pressure is up. I really think I need guys out there pounding the woods so I can slip into my great bedding areas and kill one.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:Years ago, I quit hunting early morning outside of the pre-rut/Rut. It saves some time and energy for the better days of the year.

Same here, also makes life easier at home when I can get up early with the kiddoes and the wife gets to sleep in. I also tell her I only hunt half as much as I use to and stay home a lot more. Little does she know that is all part of the plan.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:48 am

Yep! Take a kid hunting early season! It’s a great time to watch deer and try some of the mainstream tactics like scent and decoys. You are hunting, learning and just serious enough to try and get the youngster a shot. I find kids more dependable than old hunting buddies. This has helped me from getting burned out early. Hunt your extreme spots, buck beds and 1 mile hikes solo!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 am

What do you do to keep yourself going for the long grind of the season.

Great post... I can remember my younger years hunting every day of the season and maybe missing 5 or 6 days total and being mad about it... But I also remember being so tired and not ready that I blew opertunitys. As we get older it gets harder and harder to put in lots of hours on stand...

We need to "hunt smarter, rather than harder"

The way I handle it now, is if I feel burnt out or stressed I simply don't go hunting. If I feel excited and looking forward to it, I go... If your just watching the clock waiting to go home, your probably not going to kill the buck when he shows up anyway. You need to have your head in the game.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:40 am

Some great tips here. I agree with Dan if you don't feel like going hunting don't force yourself to. I have found skipping a hunt or two gets me more ready for the next hunt. I like to feel, that want to go hunting feel, not that I have to hunting feel.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:46 am

I took yesterday off to spend time with the family. Went out to eat. Vacation will get here soon enough . Sometimes if I feel burned out, I'll take a morning off or evening. A Still hunt / scouting mission instead of sitting in the stand helps too. I think you have to be mentally ready to get out everyday ,morning and evening and still make it fun. Pace yourself. :D
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:14 am

Learning to be patient has saved me from getting frustrated and worn out. Having the patience to pass on young deer, the patience to wait on the right wind or the right weather front. I've only been aggressive on 3 of the 12 sits I've put in this year. When I've had time to go hunting more often then not this year the weather and the wind haven't worked out for my primo spots. I've hunted passive observation stands the other 9 sits. My patience has led to less time in the stand overall but the 3 times I've made my move on deer I have been very very close. The anticipation of those 3 hunts was incredible and I was very sharp while on stand during those hunts.
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:24 am

Good post...

Only hunted one morning this year and that was this past Saturday.... with good action. I used to hunt most mornings early season. Feels better this year not doing so many mornings... more relaxed. I may take off the October full moons next year and take the wife and child on a quick weekend get away... great way to get ready for the rut. Yesterday, we took the our son to the pumpkin patch and he had a ball. I did see a BB (3.5 year old) pushing a doe...so that got my heart pumping.
go DEEP or go HOME
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:36 am

lynchpin wrote:Good post...

Only hunted one morning this year and that was this past Saturday.... with good action. I used to hunt most mornings early season. Feels better this year not doing so many mornings... more relaxed. I may take off the October full moons next year and take the wife and child on a quick weekend get away... great way to get ready for the rut. Yesterday, we took the our son to the pumpkin patch and he had a ball. I did see a BB (3.5 year old) pushing a doe...so that got my heart pumping.

I honestly think that is one of the biggest reasons guys burn out. Hunting twice a day, getting up early too often.
YoungBuck

Unread postby YoungBuck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:39 am

These are all really good tips! I agree with everything, especially hunting smarter instead of harder (something I have done a lot of in the past). I also waterfowl hunt frequently and find its a good mid-season break from bow hunting. I am still out hunting and enjoying a day in the outdoors, but it helps recharge the batteries for the deer stand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”