How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

Re: How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to b

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:21 am

dan wrote:Thinking back I have noticed that in hill country bucks often enter a field from the lowest point in the evening, and if you go into a field that has a low spot or drainage in the evening, no matter where you stand your milkweed goes to that drainage after thermal drop occurs which is usually before the bucks show up...

yep! great point

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:18 am

dan wrote:Thinking back I have noticed that in hill country bucks often enter a field from the lowest point in the evening, and if you go into a field that has a low spot or drainage in the evening, no matter where you stand your milkweed goes to that drainage after thermal drop occurs which is usually before the bucks show up...

I think this is pretty accurate. Deer tend to enter open fields "even in moderately flat ground" in low spots. I think it keeps themselves out of sight and to use the thermal currents.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Absolutely agree! I have seen this so many times here in the hill country land I hunt. Great post dan

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 am

Stanley wrote:

I think this is pretty accurate. Deer tend to enter open fields "even in moderately flat ground" in low spots. I think it keeps themselves out of sight and to use the thermal currents.

I agree 100%, doesn't matter if it's a crop field or CRP and it only takes a couple feet of elevation change to draw thermals and completely hide a deer with any vegetation present. If you enjoy seeing a lot of deer adjacent to low spots is a great place to set up. (Low spots also hold moisture longer keeping vegetation greener longer)
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Stanley wrote:
Czabs wrote:I'm going to draw a map later on and see what you guys think of some examples...Stanley or Dan if you could draw up a quick map of examples that would be nice...

I killed a buck from this location. The sequential order was; Glassed from the black spot by the road. Saw a couple of bucks using the blue travel route. Used an observation stand yellow circle next time the wind permitted. One buck used the blue travel route. The wind was from the west both times. I now am pretty sure I have a pattern going that will net me a buck. "Buck going from bed to corn". I waited for the next SW wind and slid in for the kill (orange a/white stand site). The red line is my travel route All three times I observed/hunted the wind was virtually to the bucks backs. This was a low impact type of hunt (I am most comfortable using this style). Notice I did not disturb the bedding/travel route/food source, area any of the times I was there, snuck in snuck out.

Would this also be an example of hunting a "just off wind"?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Ghost Pointer wrote:
Stanley wrote:
Czabs wrote:I'm going to draw a map later on and see what you guys think of some examples...Stanley or Dan if you could draw up a quick map of examples that would be nice...

I killed a buck from this location. The sequential order was; Glassed from the black spot by the road. Saw a couple of bucks using the blue travel route. Used an observation stand yellow circle next time the wind permitted. One buck used the blue travel route. The wind was from the west both times. I now am pretty sure I have a pattern going that will net me a buck. "Buck going from bed to corn". I waited for the next SW wind and slid in for the kill (orange a/white stand site). The red line is my travel route All three times I observed/hunted the wind was virtually to the bucks backs. This was a low impact type of hunt (I am most comfortable using this style). Notice I did not disturb the bedding/travel route/food source, area any of the times I was there, snuck in snuck out.

Would this also be an example of hunting a "just off wind"?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

It could be considered off wind,sort of. :think: In this case I used a S/W wind which was favorable for me not the buck. A south wind would have also worked. A west wind would have also worked. A S/E wind would have really been considered what I call an off wind. If the wind is hitting the bucks back side as he travels like it was on this hunt I don't consider this an off wind. If the wind is hitting the bucks nose as he travels this would be an off wind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 am

Ghost Pointer wrote:Would this also be an example of hunting a "just off wind"?

A "just off wind" has the wind going in the bucks favor but also in your favor as well. Let say you are in a stand facing north, the wind is blowing from the nw. The deer might be traveling west into the wind so they can smell a lot of the territory in front of them. You are setup just downwind of the trail they are taking so essentially the wind is hitting both of you in face but you have the advantage. There are a lot of angles and cross winds that can be used (thermals as well) but hopefully this makes sense. I don't see a lot of bucks traveling during shooting light with wind to back on public land so I try and work cross winds or just off winds as much as possible.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:

Absolutely agree! I have seen this so many times here in the hill country land I hunt. Great post dan

[ Post made via Android ] Image

X4. I think I posted the same observation in the hub thread yesterday. ;)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 am

Stanley wrote: If a buck is in heavy cover he often moves into the wind so that his escape route is back the way he came from. This is his safest route as he knows no danger is behind him.

I agree with this and see it a lot in the swamps I hunt. If a buck picks me off by sight or smell he will also retreat back the way he came from, as he feels safe moving back to where he has already been. The cover I hunt is so thick the bucks really cannot use their vision to protect themselves up ahead in the direction they are travelling. They use their hearing a lot to protect themselves from the rear (and all directions), while nosing forward in the heavy cover. The danger that remains when moving this way is if a wolf or a pack of yotes are trailing their ground scent, but the buck stops frequently and listens for danger approaching from the rear.
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Thanks for the explanations (Stanley, Headgear) I am slowly starting to understand what you are saying about hunting "just off winds". I would love to see or hear more examples.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: How often do you actually see deer travel with wind to back?

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:18 am

Bump. Really good topic
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:03 am

Dewey wrote:Thinking back the last 3 bucks I killed came in with the wind mostly to their back. Most have a slight cross wind so they have some advantage.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Same here. All the bucks I can think back on I killed from their beds were traveling wind to back or a slight crosswind.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 am

Stanley wrote:I would say that 90% of the bucks I have killed came in with the wind to their backs. It is like Dan said, that is how I set up to kill them. I also believe a lot depends on the amount of cover a buck is traveling through. If a buck is in heavy cover he often moves into the wind so that his escape route is back the way he came from. This is his safest route as he knows no danger is behind him.

When a buck heads to a food source he is coming from a safe zone into an unknown zone. He uses other deer ahead of him to alert danger and he has the wind to his back to alert him of danger. I have always set up with this mind set and has worked pretty well over the years. I also have always thought a stud/breeder buck in the rut moves through cross winds in search of a hot doe. I also think the older non breeder bucks still move with wind to their backs, in heavy cover especially. JMHO

The parallel trail offers the buck two scent opportunities; one the ground scent and one the cross wind scent. This is why I set up to use both those things to my advantage. The wind coming from the doe bedding area and the ground scent on the doe trails. Win win.

I see the same mature bucks definitely are using wind and thermal as often as possible mature bucks try and stay where they can use all their senses while traveling. they use thermals a lot for travel. checking stands and does they really are good at staying hidden for that reason.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 am

I see this alot and must be missing somthing but what does one mean when they respond to somthing on forum whe they say. “ bump” ?
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 am

Lopedog699 wrote:I see this alot and must be missing somthing but what does one mean when they respond to somthing on forum whe they say. “ bump” ?

I too do not know what this means lol
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”