River Bottom land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Re: River Bottom land

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:08 am

go get him bud.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:14 am

The pic's look awesome Steve, everything is still green here :(

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks cwoods!

Josh I love the looks of river bottoms. This river bottom doesn't have much for green growth other then a few higher spots. Them spots are where doe's are bedding from what I can tell.

I found 4 scrapes that were not there on Saturday. Found another rub too. Softball size tree but wasn't hit much at all. The impressive part of the rub was its height. Between waist and chest height. A tad higher then the others I found in the same area but I bet its the same buck. Didn't see a deer tonight. Damn wind was inconsistent and swirling every now and then to the doe bedding area. 80% of the time it was good. I did think about getting down and leaving but to be honest I really don't have a clue where the bucks are bedding or coming from so I thought what the neck and sat it out. Tonight I sat on the NE part of the woods by the rub line down wind of it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:23 am

Had to give up on the river bottom land. Cousins of the land owner who gun hunt it kind of want it to themselves. Can't blame them I guess as it is some great land. The owner said it was up to me. I don't like causing waves with family's so it was an easy call. ;)

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:27 am

Bummer...

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:27 am

I love hunting river bottom land as you can easily tell how the deer will travel. The area that I hunt is full of river and creek bottom land which offer some unique opportunities. I can find the bucks during the summer by glassing crop field and with my cameras, but getting on the properties that the big bucks live on is the hard part. Also another thing about hunting river bottoms is that the wind tends to swirl a lot and also in the spring time the rivers usually flood which makes it hard to get out and scout beds.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:28 pm

Schultzy wrote:Had to give up on the river bottom land. Cousins of the land owner who gun hunt it kind of want it to themselves. Can't blame them I guess as it is some great land. The owner said it was up to me. I don't like causing waves with family's so it was an easy call. ;)

That stinks...good call and very respectful of you. Got miles of public river bottom I hunt all season so you're more than welcome to come on up to NW WI and tag along man! Plenty of acreage to attack,I am planning some camping hunts there coming up real soon. Let me know.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:41 pm

wibow wrote:
Schultzy wrote:Had to give up on the river bottom land. Cousins of the land owner who gun hunt it kind of want it to themselves. Can't blame them I guess as it is some great land. The owner said it was up to me. I don't like causing waves with family's so it was an easy call. ;)

That stinks...good call and very respectful of you. Got miles of public river bottom I hunt all season so you're more than welcome to come on up to NW WI and tag along man! Plenty of acreage to attack,I am planning some camping hunts there coming up real soon. Let me know.

Very very kind of you!! Not sure if I can get away or not but might look into this. When you thinking about going?

wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Schultzy wrote:
wibow wrote:

Very very kind of you!! Not sure if I can get away or not but might look into this. When you thinking about going?

Shultzy,sending you a pm tonite or tomorrow.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 am

ttt for whisky-hunter

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”