Thermal Tunnel and Ridge Directional Change

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Country
500 Club

Thermal Tunnel and Ridge Directional Change

Unread postby Country » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:39 am

If a buck is traveling a north/south ridge thermal tunnel and the ridge turns 90 degrees and is now running east/west, what will the buck likely do?

Bucky

Re: Thermal Tunnel and Ridge Directional Change

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:59 am

Head to the next bedding area

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:27 am

Bucky wrote:Head to the next bedding area

Bucky does he just continue on that ridge or does he go down and up the other side to the next ridge that is running the direction that gives him the thermal tunnel? Or are you saying the tunnel isn't what he is checking, he is just using it to get from bedding area to bedding area? I've wondered about this myself. If the ridge your on doesn't connect or have any doe bedding, it could be a long deer less sit. There is more to it then just being on a ridge that is perpendicular to the current wind direction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:36 am

X2

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:59 pm

kenn1320 wrote:

Bucky does he just continue on that ridge or does he go down and up the other side to the next ridge that is running the direction that gives him the thermal tunnel? Or are you saying the tunnel isn't what he is checking, he is just using it to get from bedding area to bedding area? I've wondered about this myself. If the ridge your on doesn't connect or have any doe bedding, it could be a long deer less sit. There is more to it then just being on a ridge that is perpendicular to the current wind direction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

correct... there needs to be a reason for a buck to cruise a ridge... He is heading somewhere, but if possible taking the thermal tunnel to get there. Bucky is dead on right... He might drop down, might turn with the ridge, if you don't tell me where the next do bedding area is, Im guessing what direction he will go... I think if I were a betting man, the does would be bedded on a leeward slope / knob and whichever direction that is, is where the buck is heading.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”