Mouth Bleating After Shot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dkoy85

Mouth Bleating After Shot

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 am

One of my good friends, taxidermist, and big buck slayer told me every time he shoots a deer, buck or doe, he mouth bleats pretty loud right after impact to try and get them to stop. The reason he does this is so he doesn't have to track as far, especially if he makes a marginal hit. He said sometimes they stop, sometimes they dont. I'm going to give it a try this year if I get a shot. Anybody else do this or know of anyone who does?

MnHunter

Re: Mouth Bleating After Shot

Unread postby MnHunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:47 am

I guess it wouldnt hurt to try.

I sure as heck wouldnt be stopping to see what that grunt/bleat was after taking an arrow through the lungs!
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:58 am

MnHunter wrote:I guess it wouldnt hurt to try.

I sure as heck wouldnt be stopping to see what that grunt/bleat was after taking an arrow through the lungs!

HA! I wouldn't either, thats for sure. However, I think it works with the element of surprise like "What the happened? Did I just get kicked by some angry a$$ doe?!"
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:22 am

If I was super concerned about keeping the deer calm and limiting travel distance, I think always using a super sharp low cutting angle cut on contact broadhead would be more effective than just trying to bleat at the deer....the less pain/discomfort a deer feels the less violent of a reaction to the shot it will have. The shots where the deer doesn't know what hit it, walks a little ways then falls over dead always have been with cut on contact heads for me, I think they create much less 'impact' just zip right thru. Its all worth a try tho.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:18 am

I have never had a problem with the completely silent aporoach after a shot. Wouldn't want to spook a deer more especially if it's a marginal hit.

I like perfect broadside shots since many times I have zipped right through both lungs and the deer seemed like they never knew what hit them and just stood there slowly walking away. Most dropped within sight and some within 10 yards so I would especially hate to do a mouth bleat in that case and risk spooking them. They probably wouldn't have made it much further anyway but the shorter tracking job the better.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:03 am

JoeRE wrote:If I was super concerned about keeping the deer calm and limiting travel distance, I think always using a super sharp low cutting angle cut on contact broadhead would be more effective than just trying to bleat at the deer....the less pain/discomfort a deer feels the less violent of a reaction to the shot it will have. The shots where the deer doesn't know what hit it, walks a little ways then falls over dead always have been with cut on contact heads for me, I think they create much less 'impact' just zip right thru. Its all worth a try tho.

I agree a good broadhead is important, but in the real world of hunting, getting that perfect shot rarely happens for a number of reasons.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:38 am

Silence is golden after the shot. Once the arrow is through them you either stick them again if you can or be like church mouse to not give then any reason to bolt. Good hit you'll more than likely find them within 125 yards.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:46 am

I have stopped bull elk after shots with a cow call add it worked. Never tried it with a deer.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”