where would you set up on this piece?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

where would you set up on this piece?

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Red is area I have permission, and prevailing wind. blue is buck beds, pink are doe, green are not sure/mixed. yellow line is ditch that every year has lots of rubs (orange) at the n end. I've thought hunting the ditch would be good, though hard to set up on/lack of trees behind the doe area, but maybe it would be better to set up on the west end of the doe bed? Which side would you expect to see more buck movenment on in daylight? the ditch is in cover also. Other input welcome too. thanks

rochester coops

Re: where would you set up on this piece?

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:34 pm

oh, and don't get too crazy about the buck beds, though they may have a good one in em, I've yet to see it. There are good bucks in the area, just I don't know the preferred bedding yet, but I know it is often on the land bordering the red. Usually to the north
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:43 pm

both properties I've shown are essentially flat to the hunter.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:56 pm

Hey bud.

where are the desired food sources?

I would think (assuming the top is north) North, South or East winds would offer great hunting on the hedgerow if you sneak down the brush line at the tip of the arrow. The notch on the rh side of the red boundary looks good for a n or s wind too.

Whats the little box area below the woods on the right?

Just some general approaches...seeing how the bucks move form their beds with binocs form afar would be the most tactical approach IMO

Good luck
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
rochester coops

Unread postby rochester coops » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 pm

desired food would be fresh cut corn between the woods to the south and to the east of east woods and in the 'horseshoe' field into the east woods. this makes the notch, where my neighbor shot something sat morn. just off the line. that's what makes our ny hunting so tough, all the good spots you seem to have to compete with neighbors on the line. Your 1st stand site is where an uninvited guest shot a good one a few yrs ago. I've always struggled with hunting that area because I wasn't sure what wind would be good for it. But I agree and think I will get back in there soon.

Other fields are, the one where "wind" is labeled is standing corn, the 2 fields to the east of that are real short cut alfalfa (not much interest now).

that "little box" is the point where I posted the buck bed a couple weeks ago :D that I was trying to figure out. Never got back in there after that time and the corn is now cut.

I should do more observation stand stuff like you said, I do a lot from the road, but not enough in the woods.

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”