Question after Marsh/Hill Buck DVD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jjm335

Question after Marsh/Hill Buck DVD

Unread postby jjm335 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:35 pm

First let me start by saying those two videos where the best hunting videos I have ever seen. The info in both was outstanding. Dan and others, just an awesome job, thank you for doing it. Any more videos you put out sign me up! I will buy them in a heart beat.

Question I have after watching...

In Marsh Bucks you talk about focusing scouting on the transition lines and in Hill Country you focus on the top 1/3 of the hill where the prevailing wind meets the thermal creating the swirl. The thing about these two nuggets is how much time it saves scouting! So here is the question, I hunt area that doesn't have much of either...we have hills...but nothing drastic...and we do not have swamp areas like in Wis. Do you have recommendations on how to identify areas that should be focused on in bushy flat land? Basically land that is in between the two?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Question after Marsh/Hill Buck DVD

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I would focus in on the transition lines, areas where two different types of cover meet. Whether its cattails and hardwoods or brush and crp/woods it is similar. Points of brush jutting out into more open areas etc...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I would focus in on the transition lines, areas where two different types of cover meet. Whether its cattails and hardwoods or brush and crp/woods it is similar. Points of brush jutting out into more open areas etc...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

^this^
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Focus on transitions... Even if its two types of different trees meeting, or two different years of growth... Also, even small hills have an effect like the big ones. So look at the elevation too.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Transitions and high points into nowhere. That is one thing I learned at Dan's scouting class. It may seem small to you but if it is a remote spot, and never seen position by most, it should be hot. Take Dan's next scouting class. It is worth every nickle.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:38 am

Steepest downwind hillsides in the area. Anywhere the wind swirls most of the time. Good vantage points. Thickest cover. Along barriers, natural or man-made. Structure in otherwise open area. Near water. Near consistent human access. Etc...

I see deer travel/bed in relation to elevation where I hunt and I am talking 2-3' is a big elevation change where I hunt. Pay attention to elevation no matter how slight you think it is.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:41 am

Another biggy is to stay mobile and focus on the areas that seem over looked where no one really goes, even if they walk right past.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”