Friday Evening Buck Bed Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dkoy85

Friday Evening Buck Bed Hunt

Unread postby dkoy85 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:09 am

If there is a spot on this land locked 260 acre chunk of public land that a big buck would bed, it would be this(at least that's where I would bed if I was trying to be killed every day). It's the farthest spot on the property with a good mile+ walk and just so happens to be a point overlooking a creek bottom. In a crazy October tsunami type Friday three weeks ago I jumped this buck while poking around- he never saw or smelled me, just heard me snap a twig- and I saw him bound away. Never got a look at his rack, just glimpses, but saw a nice heavy looking body.

I'm fairly confident my scent washed away so I think he might still be hunt-able. In your guys experience does my set up and predicted buck route seem realistic for this Fridays evening hunt? A nice cold front is pushing in and according to the moon guide, Friday the deer should be on hoof a little earlier than normal. His bed is good with the wind coming from the ridge down to him, and I was surprised at how much of the other hill side he could see in front of him. He would walk the top 3rd of the hill side with the wind coming down to him while he can see the creek bottom the whole time. It just feels like the perfect scenario to me. Anybody have a similar situation? Thanks!

Jay

Re: Friday Evening Buck Bed Hunt

Unread postby Jay » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:35 pm

Make sure the evening thermals don't pull your scent to him before you can get a shot. Otherwise looks like you got a pretty good chance. Good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:21 pm

looks good... Hunt high so thermals don't get you busted.
Jake Schnetz

Unread postby Jake Schnetz » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Just to get a clear understanding of thermals, thermals in the morning will rise up the hill and in the evening will sink down the hill?...Do I have this correct? I am just wondering because I hunt a ridge on some private from time to time and the direction of my stand faces South but there are a lot of West winds that I believe push my scent down hill towards a heavily used path on the top 1/3 of a hill. My thinking is that with this West wind I should get below the actual path so my scent is carried out into the field and I go undetected...But I'm confused on what the thermals are actually doing...
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Yes, think of thermals following the sun.

Did you find a rubline that goes in the direction of the red line?

I would think he would travel the base of the hill along the creek using the thermals to full advantage and water barrier as downwind protection. Then enter field at corner to scent check it...

During day with rising thermals he would likely use top 1/3 entry/exit.

Just remember that big bucks are also lazy, after dropping out of his bed he may prefer to walk the bottom simply to avoid climbing an unnecessary hill as well.

Is it possible to use creek access and/or shoot across it? Perhaps glass from opposite side for fresh rubs....????

Just thoughts.

That is a very nice diagram btw!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:02 am

Palmetto, those are some good points and questions. I'm not exactly sure how he is using the hill side. I know of a good trail that runs to his bed, which is the trail in red, and there is a good trail following the creek. Across the creek is private so I can't get into that but now that you bring up the point of lazy bucks I might try and split the trails- as long as the hill side isn't too steep so I can get up high enough.

I'm going in with stand on back and will set up on the freshest sign. I'm excited to get out and give this spot a try. If he is in that bed and heads my way after about 10 steps out of his bed I should see him. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”