Scrape Drippers ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Scrape Drippers ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:06 am

I realize these things might fall into that category of Magic Pixie dust, but after my cousin shot a 150" 10 pointer over one last night, it has my attention. Does anybody use them, or ever used one with any success? I thought if nothing else, maybe it would get smaller bucks to freshen it up, which might bring in a mature buck later down the line.... anybody try it?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Re: Scrape Drippers ?

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:08 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I realize these things might fall into that category of Magic Pixie dust, but after my cousin shot a 150" 10 pointer over one last night, it has my attention. Does anybody use them, or ever used one with any success? I thought if nothing else, maybe it would get smaller bucks to freshen it up, which might bring in a mature buck later down the line.... anybody try it?

My buddy uses a bunch of them... he had a HUGE buck come into one with a camera on it just the other day. I don't know if he has ever killed a buck over one though
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:15 am

Bucky wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I realize these things might fall into that category of Magic Pixie dust, but after my cousin shot a 150" 10 pointer over one last night, it has my attention. Does anybody use them, or ever used one with any success? I thought if nothing else, maybe it would get smaller bucks to freshen it up, which might bring in a mature buck later down the line.... anybody try it?

My buddy uses a bunch of them... he had a HUGE buck come into one with a camera on it just the other day. I don't know if he has ever killed a buck over one though

Was the picture during daylight hours?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:19 am

180"er+ at 8AM
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:39 am

I have 3 of them. They are awesome for getting trailcam pics. I've never tried hunting over them though.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:59 am

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I have 3 of them. They are awesome for getting trailcam pics. I've never tried hunting over them though.

Do you get many daytime pics, or are alot at night?

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I have 3 of them. They are awesome for getting trailcam pics. I've never tried hunting over them though.

Do you get many daytime pics, or are alot at night?

You see a dramatic increase in daylight pics this time of year and when it rains.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:07 am

I played with them in the past. Always wondered if it was the dripper or the scrape that lead to the picture. :think:
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:11 am

From my experience the smell of fresh earth from a torn up scrape, mock or real is what drives bucks crazy. Not the scent you put into it. JMHO.....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:12 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I played with them in the past. Always wondered if it was the dripper or the scrape that lead to the picture. :think:

Ya, it makes a guy wonder, combination maybe? The idea is, it drips only during the day, so hopefully a buck will then come check it during daylight hours, correct?

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I played with them in the past. Always wondered if it was the dripper or the scrape that lead to the picture. :think:

Ya, it makes a guy wonder, combination maybe? The idea is, it drips only during the day, so hopefully a buck will then come check it during daylight hours, correct?

Yeah.... IMO they are good for pics. But typically a buck catches the scent from down wind... so if you are perched over it he is likely going to smell you too :doh:
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:15 am

PLB wrote:From my experience the smell of fresh earth from a torn up scrape, mock or real is what drives bucks crazy. Not the scent you put into it. JMHO.....

But how does a guy know for sure?

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:20 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
PLB wrote:From my experience the smell of fresh earth from a torn up scrape, mock or real is what drives bucks crazy. Not the scent you put into it. JMHO.....

But how does a guy know for sure?

Try a couple, one with a dripper and one without...These next 10 days are when scrape action near good bedding is awesome...

Obsession Bows
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:25 am

Bucky wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:

Yeah.... IMO they are good for pics. But typically a buck catches the scent from down wind... so if you are perched over it he is likely going to smell you too :doh:

That's true, but if the buck has been checking that scrape out for the past week when you were not there, he has no reason to believe there is trouble waiting for him the next time he visits.....and that day you go in when the wind is right for you, and BAMM! Lol, I don't know, just trying to think of how or why they could work at times... I think I'm going to give one a whirl. I might make the actual dripper out of a pop bottle & some fuel line, just because I'm a cheap a$$.....

PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:27 am

I seen them for 10 bucks at Fleet Farm on Saturday.

Obsession Bows

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”